Digital TV News: International Telecommunication Union
ITU launches 2nd IPTV Application Challenge
Jun 1, 2012 – The ITU's second IPTV Application Challenge is inviting IPTV solutions from individuals, SMEs and corporations to improve social welfare through services in fields such as e-health, e-government, e-learning, ICT accessibility and all aspects of Smart Living.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Apps, IPTV
3DTV gets a boost with new ITU-R Recommendations
May 31, 2012 – New ITU Recommendations on 3DTV are being submitted to Administrations for accelerated approval. ITU's Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) has developed the standards - or Recommendations - in its Study Group 6.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Metaverse, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Arqiva to build digital infrastructure in Gibraltar
May 10, 2012 – Arqiva has won a 'design and build' contract from the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority (GRA) to provide a digital broadcasting network in Gibraltar. The network will comprise multiplexing and transmission for both digital TV and DAB digital radio.
News categories: Arqiva, Gibraltar Regulatory Authority, Content Distribution, Gibraltar, Terrestrial
Sigma Designs Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2012 Results
Mar 7, 2012 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has reported results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended January 28, 2012. Net revenue for the quarter was $35.6 million, down 10% from the previous quarter, and down 50% from the same period last year.
News categories: Sigma Designs, IPTV, Results, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Nepal to introduce IPTV
Jun 13, 2011 – Nepal Telecom (NT) and Nepal Television (NTV) are preparing to introduce Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) in Nepal with the assistance of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), according to República.
News categories: Nepal Telecom, Nepal Television, International Telecommunication Union, Digital TV, IPTV, Nepal
Viasat and Irdeto to Deliver Premium On-Demand Content to LG TVs
Feb 1, 2011 – Irdeto has announced that Viasat has expanded its Irdeto Broadband system to enable access to live and Video On Demand (VOD) content from its LG NetCast enabled connected TV platform.
News categories: Irdeto, Viasat, LG Electronics, Denmark, Digital TV, Norway, Smart TV, Streaming, Sweden
South Africa reaffirms commitment to DVB for DTT
Jan 14, 2011 – South Africa's Minister of Communications has said that RRC-06 adopted DVB-T as the DTT standard for Region 1 (Africa, Europe and the Middle East). All African countries are signatories to the agreement and are legally bound by its requirements.
News categories: Digital TV, DVB-T2, South Africa, Terrestrial
Sigma Designs, Inc. Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2011 Results
Dec 1, 2010 – Virgin Media (NASDAQ, LSE: VMED) has unveiled details of Virgin Media TV powered by TiVo® (NASDAQ: TIVO). The user interface will combine the live TV schedule with catch-up TV, on-demand programming and applications, alongside a personal video recorder.
News categories: Sigma Designs, IPTV, Results, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Sigma Designs Unveils Industry's First G.hn Chipset
Oct 25, 2010 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced the CG5110, the first G.hn chipset for home entertainment networking. With the chipset, solutions can be designed to handle the bandwidth required by media-rich applications and HD content over any wire.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Smart Home
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement
- 76% of SVOD services to introduce ads in the next two years
- Free, ad-supported streaming takes off in the U.S.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services
- Canela Media chooses Amagi for FAST content monetization
- SES in discussions regarding possible combination with Intelsat
- Comscore expands 48-hour television reporting
- TCCL deploys iWedia Android TV Custom Launcher
- LiveU joins AWS Partner Network
- 63% of rural Americans bundle internet and TV