Digital TV News: LOVEFiLM
LOVEFiLM launches on Wii in the UK
Dec 4, 2012 – LOVEFiLM (NASDAQ:AMZN) has launched on Nintendo's (Tokyo:7974) Wii home console with a launch on Nintendo's HD home console Wii U to follow shortly. There are eight million Wii users in the UK.
News categories: LOVEFiLM, Wii, Gaming, OTT, UK
BSkyB's NOW TV extends reach with Roku launch
Nov 28, 2012 – BSkyB (LSE:BSY) has announced that NOW TV, its internet TV service is now available on Roku streaming players. NOW TV offers instant access to Sky Movies with no contract, set-up costs or installation.
News categories: BSkyB, Roku, NOW TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
OTT and Operator-Owned Multiscreen Service Penetration in UK to Exceed 75% and 52% Respectively by 2017
Nov 19, 2012 – According to ABI Research, the UK leads Europe in the adoption of both standalone OTT and operator-owned multiscreen services. Many UK consumers fit the multi-device profile, with more than 10% of the population already boasting an average of four connected devices.
News categories: ABI Research, Market Research, OTT, TV Everywhere, UK
Internet Connected TVs to Reach 650m by 2017
Aug 1, 2012 – Juniper Research has forecast that the number of residential TVs connected to the Internet via different platforms such as Blu-ray players, STBs and consoles, and also via built in wireless or Ethernet connectivity, will reach almost 650 million by 2017.
News categories: Juniper Research, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV
TalkTalk offers free YouView STB to premium broadband subscribers
Jul 26, 2012 – TalkTalk (LSE:TALK) has announced that for no additional monthly cost, its Plus customers will receive a free set top box, access to all YouView content, the TalkTalk Player, 12 months free subscription to LOVEFiLM Instant, unlimited calls and unlimited data downloads.
News categories: TalkTalk, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
UK Video Connected Devices to Grow 74% in 2012 to 24 Million
Jun 27, 2012 – The United Kingdom is Western Europe's leading market for connected devices, with an estimated 13.8 million devices receiving over-the-top video content at end-2011, a figure up 114.1% year-over-year from 2010, according to SNL Kagan research.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Gaming, Home Server, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Tablet, UK
LOVEFiLM Launches High Definition Streaming
May 31, 2012 – LOVEFiLM (NASDAQ:AMZN) has announced the launch of high-definition (HD) streaming in the UK and Germany. The HD functionality allows members of LOVEFiLM to stream films and TV series on demand and for no extra charge in resolutions up to 1080p.
News categories: LOVEFiLM, Digital TV, Germany, OTT, UK
BBC iPlayer launches on Xbox LIVE
Mar 20, 2012 – The BBC and Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) have announced the launch of the BBC's popular video-on-demand service, BBC iPlayer, on Microsoft's Xbox LIVE free platform. BBC iPlayer is now available on every major gaming platform in the UK.
News categories: BBC iPlayer, Xbox, Gaming, OTT, UK
Freeview HD Sales Pass Four Million Following Surge in Q4 Sales
Feb 13, 2012 – Freeview in the UK has confirmed that after strong quarterly sales of 1.3 million Freeview HD televisions and boxes, the number of Freeview HD units sold reached 4.4 million by the end of December 2011.
News categories: Freeview, Digital TV, DVB-T2, DVR, Market Research, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
- 3SS set to double reach in 2021
- Sky UK extends satellite capacity contract with SES
- AMC Networks and OMG complete first U.S. addressable campaign
- ENGINE launches cookieless data solutions for CTV and omnichannel media
- CEVA MotionEngine Smart TV software part of LG webOS
- Brazil's MultTV upgrades IPTV system with Beenius
- Bharti Airtel enters Ad Tech industry with Airtel Ads
- Broadpeak upgrades BkYou ad personalization solution
- Nigeria sets-up Digital Switch Over task force
- LG opens webOS Smart TV platform to other TV brands
- Cloud gaming to have huge impact on games distribution
- SpotX to serve as supply-side platform for Redbox
- Vestel brings Twitch to Smart TVs across Europe
- Cablenet rolls-out Amino STBs in Cyprus
- North American pay TV subscriber losses to slow
- discovery+ subscribers now number more than 11 million
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 133,000 in 4Q 2020
- Accedo acquires Hibox
- VIZIO Ads launches frequency control for Smart TV advertisers
- DVB approves DVB-TA watermarking and DVB Home Broadcast specs