Digital TV News: MultiChoice
MultiChoice expands video test automation capacity with Accenture StormTest
Mar 29, 2017 – MultiChoice has expanded its video test automation capacity with the implementation of Accenture StormTest, a suite of automated testing capabilities, to support a data-driven, continuous integration approach to product development.
News categories: Accenture, MultiChoice, John Maguire, QoE, South Africa
Africa Pay TV revenue to reach $6 billion in 2021
Mar 13, 2017 – According to the latest data from Dataxis for the year ending 2016, Africa Pay TV subscribers stood at approximately 18.7 million representing an increase of approximately 2 million subscribers compared to the previous year.
News categories: Dataxis, Pascal Orhan, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Eutelsat now carrying more than 1000 HD channels
Feb 20, 2017 – High Definition TV continues to gain ground across the broadcast satellites operated by Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) with the 240 HD channels launched in 2016 equalling the total number launched during the previous two years.
News categories: Eutelsat, Michel Azibert, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Worldwide
Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV thrives despite falling prices
Jan 16, 2017 – Digital TV Research estimates that three groups will continue to account for 90% of Sub-Saharan Africa’s pay TV subscribers. At end-2016, Multichoice had 11.61 million subscribers, well ahead of StarTimes with 4.18 million and Vivendi with 2.32 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
MultiChoice launches ARRIS HD PVR with HEVC for streaming
Nov 10, 2016 – MultiChoice has launched the DStv Explora 2 decoder from ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) to customers in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. Its HEVC technology will reduce the bandwidth needed to stream or download shows.
News categories: ARRIS International, Naspers, Steve McCaffery, Gerdus van Eeden, Africa, Digital TV, Media Player, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
Intelsat 36 begins service for Africa's MultiChoice
Oct 6, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that the Intelsat 36 satellite has entered service, providing broadcasting and direct-to-home (DTH) services for Africa’s MultiChoice, the leading DTH platform in South Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Brian Jakins, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Intelsat 36 launch adds DTH capacity for Sub-Saharan Africa
Aug 24, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced the successful launch of Intelsat 36, designed to enhance Intelsat’s media neighborhoods serving Africa and the Indian Ocean regions. The Ku-band payload was built to support South Africa's MultiChoice.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Stephen Spengler, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021
Aug 9, 2016 – Pay TV subscribers in Africa will reach 30 million by 2021, up from 16 million in 2015, according to Dataxis. Digital satellite pay TV subscribers are expected to be 20 million in 2021 compared to 8 million for DTT.
News categories: Dataxis, Priscilla Tirvengadum, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
MultiChoice chooses Elemental for delivery of its DStv online service
Nov 11, 2015 – Elemental has announced that MultiChoice is using Elemental for live streaming and video-on-demand (VOD) delivery of its DStv online service, which makes sports and entertainment content available on smart phones and tablets to more than 10 million subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: Elemental, MultiChoice, John Nemeth, Jean-Pierre Rossouw, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, South Africa, Streaming
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes
- Pure TV launches in Ireland based on the Netgem TV platform
- FreeWheel and Strategus unlock access to CTV inventory
- SVOD subscriptions in Eastern Europe to double
- Roku introduces 4K and 4K+ streaming sticks
- rlaxx TV to monetise linear ad breaks with smartclip
- Conviva releases State of Streaming: Content Discovery report
- Roku OS 10.5 to begin rollout in next few weeks
- Altice France to acquire Coriolis Telecom
- Eltrona launches TV+ with ocilion