Digital TV News: NPD Group
Internet access speed impacts CE device ownership levels in the U.S.
Feb 9, 2023 – An NPD Group report has revealed that gaps exist in U.S. ownership levels for devices that are more dependent on an internet connection. Examples include 4K TVs and smart home devices.
News categories: NPD Group, Eddie Hold, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
US consumer tech sales expected to decline until 2025
Jan 5, 2023 – Following tremendous growth fueled by pandemic needs in 2020 and 2021, U.S. consumer technology industry sales revenue is expected to end 2022 down 8% year over year, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Paul Gagnon, Ben Arnold, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
U.S. streaming video consumers becoming more price sensitive
Jun 23, 2022 – According to The NPD Group, from October 2021 to April 2022, cost went from the #4 reason for cancelling an SVOD service to #2. According to NPD's latest study, consumers are also increasingly signing up for services based on promotional or discounted offers.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
U.S. TV purchasers more motivated by screen size and picture quality
Apr 26, 2022 – According to NPD, over the last two years the average size of installed TVs in the U.S. has increased by three inches to 47.5". Consumers are also replacing TVs faster than before. The average age of a replaced TV is now 6.4 years, down from 6.8 years in 2020.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
US consumer technology sales revenue ends 2021 up 9%
Jan 6, 2022 – According to NPD, 2021 was a record year for the U.S. consumer tech industry with sales reaching nearly $127 billion dollars, up 9% on 2020's tremendous result. Revenues are expected to decline 5% in 2022, 4% in 2023, and 1% in 2024.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Ben Arnold, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Roku TV expands with Sharp in the US & new brands in Mexico
Jan 3, 2022 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has partnered with Sharp to bring Sharp Roku TV models to the United States. In addition, the Roku TV licensing program in Mexico will expand with the addition of Aiwa and HKPRO starting in early 2022.
News categories: Roku, Sharp, Mustafa Ozgen, Jim Sanduski, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
Sep 23, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has expanded its Canadian TV advertising offering with the introduction of the OneView advertising platform. OneView enables ad campaigns across TV streaming, desktop, and mobile.
News categories: Roku, Matterkind, Christina Summers, Erin Rahn, Advertising, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
Record-breaking U.S. movie and TV viewership continued in 1H 2021
Sep 14, 2021 – According to The NPD Group, reported time spent watching TV shows and movies in the U.S., in the first half of 2021, rose 4% over last year, as screen-entertainment spending declined by 1%.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
FandangoNOW merged into Vudu
Aug 3, 2021 – Fandango is uniting its TV streaming services, Vudu and FandangoNOW. The new Vudu service will offer more than 200,000 new release and catalog movies and TV shows. Vudu replaces FandangoNOW on Roku in the U.S.
News categories: Fandango, Roku, Paul Yanover, Tedd Cittadine, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement
- 76% of SVOD services to introduce ads in the next two years
- Free, ad-supported streaming takes off in the U.S.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services
- Canela Media chooses Amagi for FAST content monetization
- SES in discussions regarding possible combination with Intelsat
- Comscore expands 48-hour television reporting
- TCCL deploys iWedia Android TV Custom Launcher
- LiveU joins AWS Partner Network
- 63% of rural Americans bundle internet and TV