Digital TV News: Radiocom
ITU approves H.265/HEVC second edition standard
Nov 21, 2014 – The second edition of High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), Recommendation ITU-T H.265 | ISO/IEC International Standard 23008-2 includes enhanced format range extensions to improve video quality, general multi-layer support, scalability to cope with IP network congestion, and native 3D (multi-view) video encoding.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Hamadoun I. Touré, Christoph Dosch, Digital TV, Worldwide
Romania concludes DTT multiplex auction
Jun 10, 2014 – Following an auction by Romania's National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications (ANCOM), three multiplexes were awarded to the National Broadcasting Company S.A., for a €1,020,002 licence fee.
News categories: ANCOM, RADIOCOM, Content Distribution, Romania, Terrestrial
Africa set to deploy digital television
Sep 5, 2013 – Frequency coordination negotiations have succeeded in setting up the mechanism to deploy digital television in 47 Sub-Saharan African countries. The consolidation of national plans is in conformity with the deadlines set in 2006 at ITU RRC-06.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Africa, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial
Kenya's analogue switch off to begin with Nairobi in December 2013
Aug 6, 2013 – The Kenyan government has announced that Nairobi will be the first to switch over to digital TV broadcasting services on December 13 in a phased switch-off plan scheduled to end on June 30, 2014.
News categories: Digital TV, Kenya, Terrestrial
New EBU Recommendation on Future Spectrum Use
Jun 26, 2012 – The EBU has published a recommendation on spectrum management. The recommendation points out that there are differences in terrestrial broadcasting between EBU Member markets. Such differences should be taken into account when planning UHF usage in future.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Content Distribution, Europe, Mobile, Terrestrial
3DTV gets a boost with new ITU-R Recommendations
May 31, 2012 – New ITU Recommendations on 3DTV are being submitted to Administrations for accelerated approval. ITU's Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) has developed the standards - or Recommendations - in its Study Group 6.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, VR
South Africa reaffirms commitment to DVB for DTT
Jan 14, 2011 – South Africa's Minister of Communications has said that RRC-06 adopted DVB-T as the DTT standard for Region 1 (Africa, Europe and the Middle East). All African countries are signatories to the agreement and are legally bound by its requirements.
News categories: Digital TV, DVB-T2, South Africa, Terrestrial
Australia issues licences for 3D TV trials
May 14, 2010 – The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has issued licences which will allow the Nine Network and the SBS to conduct scientific trials of 3D TV in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle and Wollongong.
News categories: ACMA, Australia, Digital TV, Regulation, Smart TV, Terrestrial, VR
3D TV moves into focus at the ITU
Jan 14, 2010 – Study Group 6 of ITU's Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) has released a new Report outlining a roadmap for future 3D TV implementation, which envisages systems so smart they accurately mimic the way our eyes and brains perceive the visual world.
News categories: ITU-R, Digital TV, TV Services, VR
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product
- Comcast launches Smart TVs based on its XClass TV platform
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil