Digital TV News: SMPTE
DVB approves new subtitling specification
Aug 7, 2017 – The DVB Steering Board has approved a specification for DVB TTML subtitling systems. The specification enables the delivery of next generation subtitles in transport streams for broadcast TV services, based on W3C Timed Text Markup Language (TTML).
News categories: DVB Project, Kevin Murray, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, UX, Worldwide
Sigma Designs to offer HDR10+ in STV7803/4 UHD HDR chipsets
Jul 13, 2017 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced that universal HDR chipsets STV7803 and STV7804 will now support HDR10+. Samsung recently introduced the open standard for HDR video that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Samsung, Alfred Chan, Kyoungwon Lim, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Socionext develops small, low power 4K/60p HEVC codec
Apr 11, 2017 – Socionext has introduced the SC2M50, an HEVC/H.265 codec IC. Sample shipments will start in May 2017. The company will demonstrate the device at the NAB show in Las Vegas.
News categories: Socionext, Digital TV, NABShow, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Ultra HD Forum makes industry guidelines public
Sep 6, 2016 – The Ultra HD Forum has made the latest version of its industry Guidelines public prior to IBC. The Ultra HD Forum Guidelines Working Group is currently working on future versions of the document.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, KPN, David Price, Thierry Fautier, Don Eklund, Arian Koster, Digital TV, IBC, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Ultra HD Forum releases industry guidelines
Apr 18, 2016 – The Ultra HD Forum has released the first phase of industry Guidelines on end-to-end workflows for creating and delivering live and pre-recorded UHD content.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, Thierry Fautier, Digital TV, IBC, NABShow
Sigma Designs shipping first UHD TV chip with Dolby Vision
Jan 5, 2016 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has begun delivering volume quantities of its STV7701 Ultra HD High Dynamic Range (HDR). The single-chip is the only product shipping that supports multiple HDR standards including Dolby Vision, BD UHD HDR, and HDR 10.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Dolby, Giles Baker, CES2022, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sigma Designs Frame Rate Converter IC supports Ultra HD and Multiple HDR standards
Jan 5, 2016 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced the FRC8200, a single chip for Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR) frame rate conversion. The solution provides advanced content processing and interfaces with any next generation smart TV SoC.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Alfred Chan, CES2022, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Ten more ATSC 3.0 specifications move to Candidate Standard
Dec 7, 2015 – Ten more standards in the ATSC 3.0 suite of standards – including video encoding, Internet Protocol transport, electronic service guides and closed captioning – are moving toward 'Candidate Standard' status this month, the Advanced Television Systems Committee has announced.
News categories: Advanced Television Systems Committee, Mark Richer, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Mobile, Terrestrial, USA
SMPTE publishes study group report on HDR
Oct 27, 2015 – The SMPTE has announced the publication of a study group report on the HDR imaging ecosystem. The report summarizes discussion on the implementation of HDR and addresses key questions that will arise as members take advantage of the technology.
News categories: SMPTE, Alan Lambshead, Thomas Bause Mason, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes
- Pure TV launches in Ireland based on the Netgem TV platform