Digital TV News: SNL Kagan
Set-Top Box shipments expected to top 250 million in 2015
Jan 14, 2016 – According to SNL Kagan, global set-top box (STB) shipments maintained elevated levels in 2015, buoyed by demand in emerging market such as China and India. Worldwide STB shipments are on track to reach 253.1 million in 2015, up marginally from 248.6 million in 2014.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Worldwide
U.S. pay TV sheds over 600,000 video subscribers in 2Q 2015
Aug 13, 2015 – According to the most recent report from SNL Kagan, the inconclusive movement in U.S. multichannel subscriptions took a more decisive direction in the second quarter, producing the largest loss to date amid growing fears of cord cutting.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
European cable finances improving; US prospects not so bright
Jun 30, 2015 – SNL Kagan has expanded coverage to include leading markets in Europe, and have released some key findings from their research on the major markets of France, Germany and the U.K.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Cable TV, Digital TV, Finance, France, Germany, Market Research, UK, USA
Netflix' international business yet to turn a profit
Apr 20, 2015 – Netflix international paid subscribers totaled 16.8 million at the end of 2014, according to SNL Kagan. While the international business has yet to turn a profit, the company has seen strong growth in its non-U.S. markets thus far.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Netflix, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Market Research, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, OTT, Subscribers, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Venezuela
OTT has huge potential in Asia, but piracy still a hindrance
Mar 5, 2015 – CASBAA, the Association for digital multichannel TV, content, platforms, advertising and video delivery throughout the Asia-Pacific, recently concluded its OTT Summit 2015 at the Grand Hyatt Singapore.
News categories: CASBAA, Christine Fellowes, Asia, Content Protection, Market Research, OTT
Verimatrix provides enhanced revenue security for Telefónica's Movistar TV
Feb 11, 2015 – Verimatrix has announced that Telefónica has deployed the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) for IPTV to provide enhanced revenue security for its Movistar TV, part of the Fusión service in Spain.
News categories: Verimatrix, Telefónica, Steve Oetegenn, Roberto Campo, Content Protection, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Spain
South Korea, Japan, China, Australia and Taiwan have highest OTT viability in Asia
Oct 3, 2014 – CASBAA and SNL Kagan recently conducted a webinar detailing how upstart OTT providers are taking on traditional multichannel providers in the fight for Asia Pacific's video customers.
News categories: CASBAA, SNL Kagan, Christopher Slaughter, Ben Reneker, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Swisscom selects Verimatrix security for TV 2.0 multiscreen offering
Sep 12, 2014 – Verimatrix has announced that Swisscom has selected the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) to provide revenue security for its Swisscom TV 2.0 service, which offers live and seven-day replay services via an Android-powered set-top box.
News categories: Verimatrix, Swisscom, Volker Dietzel, Steve Oetegenn, Content Protection, Digital TV, IBCShowcase, IPTV, Middleware, Mobile, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Switzerland
Bell Labs opens video research facility in Cambridge, UK
Jul 17, 2014 – Bell Labs (Paris; NYSE: ALU) has opened a new 'antenna' office in Cambridge, UK tasked with research into real-time delivery of video to all types of connected devices, such as smartphones, games consoles, tablets, Smart TVs, and more.
News categories: Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, Marcus Weldon, Bo Olofsson, Paul Larbey, Content Distribution, Gaming, IPTV, OTT, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, UK
- Sky UK extends satellite capacity contract with SES
- AMC Networks and OMG complete first U.S. addressable campaign
- ENGINE launches cookieless data solutions for CTV and omnichannel media
- CEVA MotionEngine Smart TV software part of LG webOS
- Brazil's MultTV upgrades IPTV system with Beenius
- Bharti Airtel enters Ad Tech industry with Airtel Ads
- Broadpeak upgrades BkYou ad personalization solution
- Nigeria sets-up Digital Switch Over task force
- LG opens webOS Smart TV platform to other TV brands
- Cloud gaming to have huge impact on games distribution
- SpotX to serve as supply-side platform for Redbox
- Vestel brings Twitch to Smart TVs across Europe
- Cablenet rolls-out Amino STBs in Cyprus
- North American pay TV subscriber losses to slow
- discovery+ subscribers now number more than 11 million
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 133,000 in 4Q 2020
- Accedo acquires Hibox
- VIZIO Ads launches frequency control for Smart TV advertisers
- DVB approves DVB-TA watermarking and DVB Home Broadcast specs
- Roku releases 4Q 2020 results