Digital TV News: Screen Digest
U.S. Pay-TV Net Adds Plunge in Q2 as Economy and Netflix Take Their Toll
Aug 10, 2012 – Net U.S. subscriber additions for pay-TV operators fell by nearly 350,000 in the second quarter - the largest subscriber drop in history - according to IHS Screen Digest (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: Screen Digest, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Turkey's D-Smart Selects KIT digital to Launch OTT Pay TV Service
Jul 23, 2012 – KIT digital (NASDAQ: KITD) has anounced that it has been selected by Turkish pay TV provider D-Smart to develop and launch a multiscreen over-the-top (OTT) pay TV service.
News categories: KIT digital, D-Smart, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Turkey
Vizio Retakes Lead in U.S. LCD TV Market
Jul 12, 2012 – One year after falling to second place, Vizio, in the first quarter, reclaimed leadership in the U.S. liquid crystal display television (LCD TV) market as consumers flocked to buy its affordable sets, according to IHS Screen Digest.
News categories: Screen Digest, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
The End of Set-Top Box Domination Looms as Multiscreen Pay-TV Operators Shift to PCs, Smartphones and Tablets
Jul 10, 2012 – In 2015, 49% of all devices obtaining TV services from 43 of the largest global pay-TV operators that have commenced deployment of multiscreen services will be PCs, smartphones, tablets and other so-called multiscreen devices, according to IHS Screen Digest.
News categories: Screen Digest, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gaming, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Streaming, Tablet, TV Everywhere
Multiscreen devices active on pay-TV networks to rise to 300 million in 2015
Apr 3, 2012 – Recent news of acquisitions and divestments in the US cable market underscore the industry's shift in focus away from set-top box hardware and toward software and services designed to accommodate the booming opportunity for pay-TV multiscreen devices.
News categories: Screen Digest, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
US Audiences to Pay for More Online Movies in 2012 than for Physical Videos
Mar 22, 2012 – According to IHS Screen Digest, Americans will pay to consume more movies online in 2012 than they will on physical video formats, marking the first year that legal, Internet-delivered movies will outstrip those of DVDs and Blu-ray discs combined.
News categories: Screen Digest, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, Streaming, USA
NDS Reaches 20 Million Digital Homes in India
Oct 19, 2011 – NDS has announced that in the Indian pay-TV market its technology is providing an enhanced TV viewing experience in 20 million homes. With an estimated average of five people per household, NDS is enabling TV for 100 million viewers.
News categories: NDS Group, Cable TV, Conditional Access, India, Market Research, Middleware, Satellite
US Pay-TV Market Shows Resilience in Q2
Sep 9, 2011 – Despite a decline in video subscribers, the second quarter was a strong period for the U.S. pay-TV business, with revenue-generating units (RGU) for cable rising robustly due to expanding broadband and telephony segments, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: Screen Digest, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Defying Cord Cutting Craze, European Union Cable Market Expands in 2010
Sep 7, 2011 – The European cable market continued to expand in 2010, with revenue throughout the EU rising by nearly 8% for the year on the strength of double-digit growth in digital TV, broadband and telephony subscribers, according to Screen Digest (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: Screen Digest, Cable TV, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, Subscribers
- Operations of Digi Communications in Hungary acquired by 4iG
- OTT revenues poised to surpass pay TV revenues in MENA by 2024
- Astro Malaysia debuts addressable TV advertising with Synamedia
- Kaltura powers Vodafone TV in Germany
- Roku #1 TV streaming platform in Mexico
- ATEME brings HDR10+ support to live transcoding
- BBC iPlayer arrives on PlayStation 5
- BARB UK adds SVOD and video-sharing platform measurement
- Baltcom strengthens position in Eastern Latvia with Microlines acquisition
- ATSC issues RFP for broadcast core network technologies to enhance ATSC 3.0
- Verimatrix launches cybersecurity solution against video piracy
- Agama and Antecna to provide video monitoring and analysis for m:tel
- ViacomCBS and NENT Group to roll out Pluto TV in the Nordics
- Iskon launches OTT service in Croatia with Beenius
- Kineton and SmarDTV demonstrate OpApp & CAM at 9th HbbTV Symposium
- Irdeto launches CAM-based HbbTV OpApp solution
- South African government provides update on analogue switch-off
- Nielsen to enhance TV measurement with individual commercial metrics
- DVB releases first 8K UHD video delivery specifications
- TV shipments expected to undergo 12.4% YoY decline in 2H 2021