Digital TV News: Sony
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
May 21, 2020 – According to TrendForce, global TV shipments are expected to undergo a 5.8% decrease YoY and reach 205.21 million units in 2020. In the shrinking TV market, brands are vying for business growth by demonstrating their technical superiority.
News categories: TrendForce, Iris Hu, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
May 19, 2020 – New research from Parks Associates finds 67% of US broadband households own and use at least one internet-connected video device, either a smart TV, streaming media player, internet-connected gaming console, or connected PVR/DVR.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVR, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
U.S. sees largest first quarter multichannel subscriptions decline to-date
May 15, 2020 – According to Kagan, initial speculation that TV-hungry, isolated viewers would at least temporarily stem cord cutting in the U.S. was dispelled with the industry's largest first quarter decline for traditional multichannel subscriptions.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
SonyLIV selects Intertrust's cloud-based multi-DRM
May 6, 2020 – Intertrust’s cloud-based multi-DRM service, ExpressPlay DRM, has been selected by SonyLIV to protect content streaming and downloads on all devices. The partnership covers all channels and entertainment programming on the SonyLIV platform.
News categories: Intertrust, SonyLIV, Talal G. Shamoon, Manish Verma, Digital TV, DRM, India, OTT
Non-memory semiconductor revenue to decline 7.2% in 2020
May 4, 2020 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue declined 12.2% in 2019 to $418 billion. Instead of an anticipated bottom and gradual recovery in 2020, the emergence of COVID-19 will drive another contraction in the overall semiconductor market, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Mario Morales, Shane Rau, Michael Palma, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Norway's Strim to launch Smart TV apps with Norigin Media
Apr 28, 2020 – Strim, one of the newest streaming services in Norway, owned by TV distributor RiksTV, has chosen Norigin Media to build its new TV Apps on Smart TVs. With this agreement, Strim will expand its streaming service onto large screens.
News categories: Norigin Media, RiksTV, Strim, Ajey Anand, Jérôme Franck-Sætervoll, Apps, Digital TV, Norway, OTT, Smart TV
Advanced TV revenues to reach $26bn by 2025
Apr 27, 2020 – Advanced TV revenues are forecast to grow at a 9% rate from 2019 to 2025 to $26 billion, according to DSCC. Advanced TV is any TV with advanced display technology, including OLED TVs, 8K LCD TVs and LCD TVs with quantum dot technology.
News categories: DSCC, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Youfone Android TV service powered by 24i and Amino
- Synamedia launches addressable advertising solution
- Liberty Global to acquire Sunrise Communications by tender offer
- FOX News launches international D2C streaming service
- Ten carriers in Germany and Austria choose Ocilion for IPTV
- BluTV DTH launches in Brazil on EUTELSAT 65 West A
- Viya TV+ launches in the US Virgin Islands with Mirada
- OTT TV and video revenues at $83 billion in 2019
- 41.4% of TVs in Latin America are Smart
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 51,000 in 2Q 2020
- Pirate subscription TV services now a billion-dollar U.S. industry
- PAOK FC OTT platform built with Insys Sport on AWS
- SLING TV in-app guide integrates local OTA channels on LG Smart TVs
- Conviva releases State of Streaming Q2 report
- Stay-at-home providing springboard for French SVOD
- Survata announces enhanced CTV measurement suite
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding