Digital TV News: StarTimes
StarTimes takes more satellite capacity for Africa on SES-5
Jun 2, 2015 – SES (Paris;LuxX:SESG) has announced that StarTimes has extended its partnership with SES on the SES-5 satellite. StarTimes has contracted additional capacity to provide an enhanced TV viewing experience for its subscribers in Africa.
News categories: SES S.A, StarTimes, Ferdinand Kayser, Pang Xinxing, Africa, Content Distribution, Satellite
StarTimes deploys Conax-certified ALi-based set-top boxes
Mar 23, 2015 – ALi Corporation has announced that StarTimes has deployed Conax-certified set-top boxes based on ALi's chipsets to further expand their African markets. StarTimes has accumulated nearly 5 million subscribers across the continent.
News categories: Conax, ALi Corp, StarTimes, Morten Solbakken, Tony Chang, XinXing Pang, Africa, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Ghana to resume digital TV migration project
Mar 9, 2015 – The Commercial Division of Ghana's High Court has dismissed the interlocutory injunction filed by Startimes DTV Ghana to prevent the Ministry of Communications (MoC) from implementing its DTT roadmap following the termination of the previous contract with Starimes.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ghana, Terrestrial
StarTimes reduces DVB-T2 STB price in Kenya
Feb 23, 2015 – StarTimes Media has effected a 17.5% price drop on the cost of acquiring its DVB-T2 Free-To-Air set top box with the move aimed at making it increasingly affordable for more Kenyans to take up its DTT service.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Satellite dominates Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV revenues
Jan 14, 2015 – Pay TV revenues in Sub-Saharan Africa will reach $6.22 billion in 2020, up from $3.54 billion in 2014 and $1.92 billion in 2010, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
StarTimes introduces FTA satellite TV in Kenya
Nov 10, 2014 – StarTimes has announced that Kenyans can now access local channels free upon the expiry of their monthly subscription to its satellite TV service. New customers receive two free months of pay TV when purchasing the StarTimes installation kit.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
StarTimes to deploy Entropic Analog Channel Stacking Switch in Africa
Sep 3, 2014 – Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR) has announced that StarTimes will use Entropic's EN5288 Channel Stacking Switch (CSS) Outdoor Unit (ODU) solution for their direct broadcast satellite (DBS) service deployments in Africa.
News categories: Entropic, StarTimes, Jianqiang Wang, Al Servati, Africa, Digital TV, LNB, Satellite, Semiconductor
Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline
Jul 22, 2014 – Ovum has found that most sub-Saharan countries will not achieve the ITU deadline to switch off their analogue TV due to a lack of public awareness, inadequate funding of TV infrastructure and insufficient supplies of set-top boxes.
News categories: Ovum, Adam Thomas, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, Nigeria, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Zambia contracts with StarTimes for DTT broadcasting system
Jul 10, 2014 – Zambia's Government has signed a US $9 million contract with Star Software Technology Company Limited of China for the supply, installation and commissioning of phase one of the National Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting System in the country.
News categories: StarTimes, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services, Emmanuel Mwamba, Bert Mushala, Ken Xie, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial, Zambia
- Sky UK extends satellite capacity contract with SES
- AMC Networks and OMG complete first U.S. addressable campaign
- ENGINE launches cookieless data solutions for CTV and omnichannel media
- CEVA MotionEngine Smart TV software part of LG webOS
- Brazil's MultTV upgrades IPTV system with Beenius
- Bharti Airtel enters Ad Tech industry with Airtel Ads
- Broadpeak upgrades BkYou ad personalization solution
- Nigeria sets-up Digital Switch Over task force
- LG opens webOS Smart TV platform to other TV brands
- Cloud gaming to have huge impact on games distribution
- SpotX to serve as supply-side platform for Redbox
- Vestel brings Twitch to Smart TVs across Europe
- Cablenet rolls-out Amino STBs in Cyprus
- North American pay TV subscriber losses to slow
- discovery+ subscribers now number more than 11 million
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 133,000 in 4Q 2020
- Accedo acquires Hibox
- VIZIO Ads launches frequency control for Smart TV advertisers
- DVB approves DVB-TA watermarking and DVB Home Broadcast specs
- Roku releases 4Q 2020 results