Digital TV News: StarTimes
StarTimes deploys Conax-certified ALi-based set-top boxes
Mar 23, 2015 – ALi Corporation has announced that StarTimes has deployed Conax-certified set-top boxes based on ALi's chipsets to further expand their African markets. StarTimes has accumulated nearly 5 million subscribers across the continent.
News categories: Conax, ALi Corp, StarTimes, Morten Solbakken, Tony Chang, XinXing Pang, Africa, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Ghana to resume digital TV migration project
Mar 9, 2015 – The Commercial Division of Ghana's High Court has dismissed the interlocutory injunction filed by Startimes DTV Ghana to prevent the Ministry of Communications (MoC) from implementing its DTT roadmap following the termination of the previous contract with Starimes.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ghana, Terrestrial
StarTimes reduces DVB-T2 STB price in Kenya
Feb 23, 2015 – StarTimes Media has effected a 17.5% price drop on the cost of acquiring its DVB-T2 Free-To-Air set top box with the move aimed at making it increasingly affordable for more Kenyans to take up its DTT service.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Satellite dominates Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV revenues
Jan 14, 2015 – Pay TV revenues in Sub-Saharan Africa will reach $6.22 billion in 2020, up from $3.54 billion in 2014 and $1.92 billion in 2010, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
StarTimes introduces FTA satellite TV in Kenya
Nov 10, 2014 – StarTimes has announced that Kenyans can now access local channels free upon the expiry of their monthly subscription to its satellite TV service. New customers receive two free months of pay TV when purchasing the StarTimes installation kit.
News categories: StarTimes, Mark Lisboa, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
StarTimes to deploy Entropic Analog Channel Stacking Switch in Africa
Sep 3, 2014 – Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR) has announced that StarTimes will use Entropic's EN5288 Channel Stacking Switch (CSS) Outdoor Unit (ODU) solution for their direct broadcast satellite (DBS) service deployments in Africa.
News categories: Entropic, StarTimes, Jianqiang Wang, Al Servati, Africa, Digital TV, LNB, Satellite, Semiconductor
Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline
Jul 22, 2014 – Ovum has found that most sub-Saharan countries will not achieve the ITU deadline to switch off their analogue TV due to a lack of public awareness, inadequate funding of TV infrastructure and insufficient supplies of set-top boxes.
News categories: Ovum, Adam Thomas, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, Nigeria, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Zambia contracts with StarTimes for DTT broadcasting system
Jul 10, 2014 – Zambia's Government has signed a US $9 million contract with Star Software Technology Company Limited of China for the supply, installation and commissioning of phase one of the National Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting System in the country.
News categories: StarTimes, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Services, Emmanuel Mwamba, Bert Mushala, Ken Xie, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial, Zambia
SES enables StarTimes to expand TV reach in Africa
Sep 13, 2013 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that StarTimes has signed a contract on SES-5 to expand its media footprint in Africa and deliver DTH services across the continent. StarTimes also acquired SES' 20% shareholding in South Africa's Top TV.
News categories: SES S.A, StarTimes, Top TV, Pang Xinxing, Ferdinand Kayser, Africa, Content Distribution, MnA, Satellite, South Africa
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic
- Eutelsat 7/8°W predominant broadcast position for Egyptian TV homes
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- TeraVolt wins tender for development at ZDF Mediathek
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico
- Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
- Verimatrix introduces watermarking for HTML5