Digital TV News: The NPD Group
Screen size and picture quality drive replacement TV purchases in U.S.
Jun 18, 2018 – According to NPD, increasing the size and picture quality are the top driving forces for U.S. consumers looking to update their televisions. Of the consumers who purchased a 4K/UHD replacement TV, 45% reported buying because they wanted a larger screen, 39% for better picture quality.
News categories: The NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Viewing is shifting from live TV to subscription services
Nov 22, 2017 – According to the NPD Group, as subscribers to Netflix, Hulu and other subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services continue to increase, so too does the amount of time they watch television and movies on their TVs, PCs and mobile devices.
News categories: NPD Group, Graham Gee, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Streaming, USA
Video streaming on TV-connected devices continues to grow in the US
Oct 25, 2017 – According to NPD, 57% of all U.S. smartphone users access video content via an app at least once a month, with iOS users more likely than Android users to access video content, 66 percent versus 49 percent, respectively.
News categories: NPD Group, Brad Akyuz, John Buffone, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
60% of U.S. broadband homes have a TV connected to the internet
Apr 19, 2017 – 60% of U.S. internet homes now have an installed connected TV device, according to NPD. As the number of connected TV homes continues to grow, the devices used to make those connections have shifted.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
Roku introduces audience guarantees for TV advertisers
Apr 3, 2017 – Roku has announced that marketers can now measure campaigns on the Roku platform using detailed demographic metrics comparable to linear TV with Nielsen Digital Ad Ratings (DAR).
News categories: Roku, Nielsen, Scott Rosenberg, Advertising, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
4K UHD TV to shift from early adopter to mass market
Nov 21, 2016 – With awareness and interest on the rise, this holiday season could mark the shift in the 4K Ultra-High Definition (UHD) TV consumer base from early adopter to mass market audience, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Over 80% of U.S. smartphone users now stream video
Mar 21, 2016 – Eighty-one percent of all U.S. smartphone users now stream video on their devices, according to NPD Group. This usage is being driven primarily by users who are 25 and younger.
News categories: NPD Group, Brad Akyuz, Digital TV, Market Research, Smartphone, Streaming, USA
49 million U.S. homes have a TV connected to the internet
Mar 7, 2016 – More than half (52%) of all U.S. Internet homes have at least one TV connected to the Internet, representing an increase of six million homes over the past year, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
82% growth expected in U.S. internet-connected TV devices by 2018
Nov 9, 2015 – By the end of 2018, 231 million installed devices are expected to be connected to the Internet and able to deliver apps to TVs, representing 82 percent growth from 2014 to 2018, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
- SUPER RTL launch TOGGO multiscreen service enabled by 3SS
- 24i launches 24iQ personalization and recommendations service
- Great Wall Motor selects ACCESS-powered IVI system from BEAN TECH
- Infovista enables user experience testing for OTT and 5G apps and services
- UAE TV viewership research launched at CABSAT 2022
- Another record month for U.S. streaming in April
- Global OTT revenues to grow to $224 billion in 2027
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden