Digital TV News: Walt Disney
116 million paid subscribers for Disney+ on July 3
Aug 12, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended July 3, 2021. Disney ended the quarter with a total of nearly 174 million subscriptions across its Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu direct-to-consumer services.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
47% of US broadband households subscribe to Prime Video
Jun 2, 2021 – Parks Associates research shows that 47% of US broadband households currently subscribe to Amazon Prime Video. The content rights deal between Amazon and the NFL will help increase the service’s uptake.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Disney+ ends 1Q 2021 with 103.6 million subscribers
May 13, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended April 3, 2021. Average monthly revenue per paid subscriber for Disney+ decreased YoY from $5.63 to $3.99 due to the launch of Disney+ Hotstar.
News categories: Walt Disney, Digital TV, India, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ global expansion built on AWS infrastructure
Apr 29, 2021 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has unveiled that The Walt Disney Company is using AWS for the global rollout of Disney+. Using AWS infrastructure, Disney+ has been able to rapidly expand to 59 countries across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, The Walt Disney Company, Carla Stratfold, Joe Inzerillo, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Comcast launches Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Mar 29, 2021 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced the start of the rollout of Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity. Disney+ and ESPN+ join a growing collection of streaming services available over the Internet on X1 and Flex.
News categories: Comcast, The Walt Disney Company, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
Disney+ passes 100 million subscriber milestone
Mar 9, 2021 – Disney+ has surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers in just 16 months. Since its U.S. launch in November 2019, Disney+ has added Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Latin America and Singapore.
News categories: Walt Disney, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
Disney+ ends 2020 with 94.9 million subscribers
Feb 11, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported earnings for the quarter ended January 2, 2021. Disney+ had 94.9 million subscribers on January 2, 2021, up from 26.5 million at the end of 2019.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
StarHub to distribute Disney+ in Singapore
Jan 7, 2021 – StarHub has announced that it has signed an exclusive agreement with The Walt Disney Company to become the official distributor of Disney+ in Singapore via StarHub’s TV, mobile and broadband offerings.
News categories: StarHub, Disney, Johan Buse, Amit Malhotra, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Mobile, Singapore, Streaming
Disney surpasses 137 million subscriptions for its D2C services
Dec 11, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company has revealed the next steps in its global streaming expansion with details on the future of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, a first look at its upcoming global brand, Star, and previews of new content.
News categories: Disney, Bob Chapek, Bob Iger, Christine McCarthy, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
- SUPER RTL launch TOGGO multiscreen service enabled by 3SS
- 24i launches 24iQ personalization and recommendations service
- Great Wall Motor selects ACCESS-powered IVI system from BEAN TECH
- Infovista enables user experience testing for OTT and 5G apps and services
- UAE TV viewership research launched at CABSAT 2022
- Another record month for U.S. streaming in April
- Global OTT revenues to grow to $224 billion in 2027
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden