Digital TV News: nbn
World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
May 22, 2020 – Researchers from Monash, Swinburne and RMIT universities have tested and recorded Australia's fastest internet data speed, and that of the world, from a single optical chip - capable of downloading 1000 HD movies in a split second.
News categories: Monash University, RMIT University, Swinburne University, Dr Bill Corcoran, Professor Arnan Mitchell, Professor David Moss, Australia, Broadband, Fibre, Worldwide
Telstra launches updated Telstra TV streaming player
Feb 19, 2019 – Telstra is to launch a new Telstra TV streaming player. The third generation of Telstra TV is sleeker, smaller, and includes an improved wireless remote control with voice search, plus buttons for TV power and volume control.
News categories: Telstra, Michael Acklan, Australia, Broadband, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
SVOD feeds Australian's insatiable appetite for streaming content
Jul 30, 2018 – The Australian Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD) services market continues to grow strongly reaching 9.1 million subscriptions at the end of June 2018, a year-on-year increase of 54 per cent, according to Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Alvin Lee, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Vodafone Australia partners with Netflix and unveils Vodafone TV
Mar 27, 2018 – Vodafone Australia has announced a partnership with Netflix and unveiled Vodafone TV, its first-ever streaming media device. Vodafone TV runs on Google’s Android platform with access to apps and games through the Google Play Store.
News categories: Vodafone, Ben McIntosh, Matthew Lobb, Android TV, Australia, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Set Top Box
Streaming Video On Demand a hit in Australia
Aug 8, 2017 – Subscription video on demand (SVOD) services delivered over the Internet continue to feed Australians’ appetite for entertainment with subscriptions reaching 3.7 million at the end of June 2017, a year-on-year increase of 30 per cent, according to Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Alvin Lee, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Online content viewing firmly established in Australia
Nov 30, 2016 – Australians’ increasing appetite for digital content is driving profound changes in mobile device use, services, infrastructure and content delivery. The ACMA’s Communications report 2015–16 contains data revealing current trends in consumer behaviour and industry responses.
News categories: Australian Communications and Media Authority, Richard Bean, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Foxtel launches 'nbn' services
Nov 3, 2016 – Foxtel has announced that it has begun offering services on the 'nbn' network to Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) serviceable customers. The move marks Foxtel’s initial push to offer 'nbn' services to new and current subscribers, which will accelerate in the coming months.
News categories: Foxtel, nbn, Andrew Lorken, Australia, Digital TV, Fibre, OTT
G.fast set for nearly 29 million end users by 2021
Oct 17, 2016 – An Ovum report jointly commissioned by nbn and BT has predicted that new ultra-fast copper technology G.fast will be serving nearly 30 million subscriber homes and businesses around the world by 2021.
News categories: Ovum, nbn, Openreach, Matthew Howett, Dennis Steiger, Clive Selley, BBWF, Broadband, Market Research, Worldwide
Australia sees strong SVOD growth
Jun 27, 2016 – Uptake of subscription video on demand (SVOD) services delivered over the Internet continues to run hot in Australia with 2.7 million active subscriptions expected by the end of June 2016, according to Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem