Digital TV News: Alliance for Open Media
DVB publishes commercial requirements for next video codec work
Apr 25, 2023 – The DVB Project has published two documents (DVB BlueBooks C105 and C106) setting out the commercial requirements for its next stage of work on video codecs.
News categories: DVB Project, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Worldwide
AMD launches ASIC-based media accelerator card
Apr 6, 2023 – AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) has announced its AMD Alveo MA35D media accelerator featuring two ASIC-based video processing units and built to power live interactive streaming services at scale.
News categories: AMD, Dan Gibbons, Matt Frost, Content Distribution, Digital TV, ICs, Streaming, Worldwide
DVB adds AVS3 codec to core specification
Jul 7, 2022 – The DVB Project has added AVS3 to its core specification for coding in broadcast and broadband applications - the first time DVB has added a codec from China’s AVS Workgroup. An update to the DVB-DASH specification has also been approved.
News categories: DVB Project, China, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming
ZTE debuted RDK and Common Broadcast Stack STBs at IBC 2021
Dec 7, 2021 – ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) launched two set-top boxes (STBs), its 4K IP STB ZXV10 B870V2J supporting Reference Design Kit (RDK) and its DVB hybrid STB ZXV10 B836CTSI-A20 supporting Common Broadcast Stack, at IBC 2021 held online.
News categories: ZTE Corp, Digital TV, IBC2022, RDK, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
Nov 18, 2020 – Bitmovin has incorporated H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) into its encoding solution. Bitmovin is among the first to integrate the codec and does not require device updates or additional licenses.
News categories: Bitmovin, Fraunhofer HHI, Stefan Lederer, Benjamin Bross, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Streaming, Worldwide
ZTE combines soundbar and set-top box
Sep 14, 2020 – ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) has launched a far-field 4K AI Soundbar STB at the IBC Showcase. By integrating smart soundbar and set-top box (STB), ZTE provides operators with a multi-function platform and a must-have device for consumers.
News categories: ZTE, Android TV, IBC2022, Set Top Box, Worldwide
AOMedia working group formed to promote AV1
Aug 20, 2020 – The Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia) has announced the formation of the AOMedia Software Implementation Working Group (SIWG), a member-driven initiative to aid the development of AOMedia AV1 products and services.
News categories: AOMedia, Ioannis Katsavounidis, Xiang Li, Hassene Tmar, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Worldwide
Allegro DVT releases AL-D21x video decoder IP family with AV1 support
Apr 2, 2020 – Allegro DVT has announced the release of its AL-D21x family of video decoder IPs which adds support for the AV1 video format. This addition complements Allegro DVT’s previously announced AV1 video IP encoding solutions (AL-E21x).
News categories: Allegro DVT, Nathalie Brault, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Vimeo adds support for AV1 codec
Jun 13, 2019 – Vimeo has announced support for royalty-free video codec, AV1. The AV1 codec enables high-definition and ultra-high-definition video content to be streamed to audiences at a reduced bitrate without compromising visual quality.
News categories: Vimeo, Naren Venkataraman, Vittorio Giovara, Nathan Egge, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV
- KCGM deploys Amagi SaaS offering to distribute anime channel in India
- Leading industry players join IAB Tech Lab advertising standards group
- DingoTV streaming service adds gamification with Edge Video
- Foxxum partners with OTTera to expand app portfolio
- Taiwan Mobile selects Broadpeak for live video streaming to mobiles
- TV Globo affiliate EPTV turns to MediaKind for IP video edge upgrade
- tvOS 17 brings FaceTime and video conferencing to Apple TV 4K
- VIDAA to bring Paramount+ to viewers in Canada and Latin America
- AR/VR headset shipments slowed in Q1 2023
- Introducing Apple Vision Pro: Apple’s first spatial computer
- 49% of U.S. adults watch video via a CTV device daily
- FAST revenues in Eastern Europe set to reach $42m by 2028
- Qvest becomes European League of Football FAST playout partner
- Wyplay acquires iFeelSmart
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX