Digital TV News: Appear
HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
Nov 24, 2023 – The HbbTV Association has released an updated version of the HbbTV Operator Application specification with improved support for IP-delivered linear channels.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Apps, Digital TV, HbbTV, Smart TV, Streaming, UK, Worldwide
Vivaro chooses Appear encoding for 2023 Pan American Games
Oct 19, 2023 – Vivaro Media has chosen Appear to support its 2023 Pan American Games live contribution. Vivaro has deployed Appear's X Platform to encode 10 live HD channels during the competition.
News categories: Appear, Vivaro, Thomas Bostrøm Jørgensen, Carlos Jurado, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Latin America
New York City broadcasters launch NEXTGEN TV
Oct 16, 2023 – Beginning October 16, viewers in the #1 television market in the U.S will be able to receive six local channels broadcasting NEXTGEN TV over-the-air: WCBS, WLIW, WMBQ-CD, WNBC, WNET and WNJU.
News categories: WNET Group, Neal Shapiro, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
TiVo releases Q2 2023 video trends report
Sep 26, 2023 – Research released by TiVo (NYSE: XPER) has found that the average number of streaming services used by consumers in the US and Canada decreased from 11.6 in Q4 2022 to 10.9 in Q2 2023.
News categories: TiVo, Scott Maddux, Advertising, Broadcast, Canada, Digital TV, In-Car, Market Research, Smart TV, Streaming, USA, UX
Another slow year expected for AR/VR headsets
Sep 19, 2023 – Worldwide augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) headset shipments declined for the fourth quarter in a row as volumes fell 44.6% YoY during the second quarter of 2023, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Ramon T. Llamas, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Witbe introduces dynamic ad insertion monitoring for streaming video
Sep 12, 2023 – Witbe (Euronext: FR0013143872, ALWIT) has introduced Ad Monitoring and Content Matching technology, to identify and resolve playback errors caused by dynamic ad insertion in streaming video.
News categories: Witbe, Yoann Hinard, Advertising, Digital TV, IBC2023, QoE, Streaming, Worldwide
Asia Pacific OTT revenues to grow by $15 billion
Sep 7, 2023 – According to Digital TV Research, Asia Pacific OTT revenues will reach $49bn in 2029, up from $34bn in 2023. This comes despite China maturing rapidly and India experiencing SVOD shake-up.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming
Verimatrix and Telus to show Optik TV piracy protections at IBC
Sep 5, 2023 – At IBC, Verimatrix (Paris: VMX) will showcase how Verimatrix Streamkeeper was integrated with the next generation of TELUS’ Optik TV platform to create an advanced video delivery platform.
News categories: Verimatrix, TELUS, Geartech Technologie, Sofia Regojo, Maria Malinkowitsch, Tom Linder, Canada, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, IBC2023, IPTV
One-in-three UK streaming subscribers share accounts with other households
Aug 31, 2023 – More than a third (35%) of people in the UK with access to an SVOD service are sharing at least one of their subscriptions with others outside their home, according to Deloitte.
News categories: Deloitte, Paul Lee, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, UK
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
- Bouygues Telecom streams video in Multicast ABR with Broadpeak
- iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
- Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
- Avid provides Iceland's RÚV with ingest and playout solution
- Global pay TV penetration to fall for the first time in 2024