Digital TV News: Apple TV
ZEE5 to launch in the U.S. on June 22
Jun 10, 2021 – ZEE5 is to launch in the United States on June 22. The platform is currently under beta testing in the market. The U.S. is the final and largest launch for ZEE5, in a market with a ready 5.4 million diaspora audience.
News categories: ZEE5, Amit Goenka, Archana Anand, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, USA
39% of U.S. adults watch video on connected TV devices daily
Jun 4, 2021 – Research from Leichtman Research Group (LRG) finds that 39% of adults in U.S. TV households watch video on a TV via a connected device daily – compared to 40% in 2020, 31% in 2019, 19% in 2016, and 3% in 2011.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
VIZIO upgrades SmartCast TV platform with VIZIO Voice
Jun 4, 2021 – VIZIO (NYSE: VZIO) has shared details on an update to its SmartCast Smart TV platform. New models of SmartCast TVs will include a new push-to-talk Voice Remote with VIZIO Voice, helping to navigate apps and channels.
News categories: VIZIO, Chris Vinckier, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
47% of US broadband households subscribe to Prime Video
Jun 2, 2021 – Parks Associates research shows that 47% of US broadband households currently subscribe to Amazon Prime Video. The content rights deal between Amazon and the NFL will help increase the service’s uptake.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Proximus selects Velocix CDN to scale Pickx
Apr 21, 2021 – Velocix has announced that Proximus has scaled its Pickx video service using Velocix CDN technology. Proximus will more than double its HTTP streaming capacity with Velocix’s carrier-grade CDN software.
News categories: Velocix, Proximus, Anthony Berkeley, Thierry Demoor, Belgium, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV
Apple unveils next generation Apple TV 4K
Apr 21, 2021 – Apple has announced the next generation of Apple TV 4K, delivering HDR with Dolby Vision. At the heart of the new Apple TV 4K is the A12 Bionic chip that provides a significant boost in graphics performance, video decoding, and audio processing.
News categories: Apple, Bob Borchers, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Bitmovin raises $25 million of Series C funding
Apr 20, 2021 – Bitmovin has raised $25 million in Series C financing. The company will use the investment to drive the continued expansion of its product innovation and technology leadership in the streaming space.
News categories: Bitmovin, Stefan Lederer, Fergal Mullen, Stefan Kuentz, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT, Venture Capital, Worldwide
Bitcentral enables Dynamic Ad Insertion for Cowles Broadcasting on NewsON
Apr 19, 2021 – Bitcentral has announced support for ad trigger insertion in its FUEL online video platform. The solution is being used by Cowles Broadcasting to enable Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI) for its launch on the NewsON service.
News categories: Bitcentral, Cowles Broadcasting, NewsON, Greg Morrow, Neal Boling, Ron Stitt, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Western Europe to have 234 million SVOD subscriptions in 2026
Apr 15, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, Western Europe will have 234 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026, up from 137 million at end-2020. Despite losing market share, Netflix will remain the largest SVOD platform.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
- Elliptic Labs to trial presence detection and gestures for Smart TV
- Carbon Trust releases white paper on CO2 impact of streaming
- ZEE5 to launch in the U.S. on June 22
- Vewd offers ATSC 3.0 integration options
- Broadpeak's CDN and Multicast ABR power Megacable's Xview+
- TEGNA selects TVSquared for ad measurement and attribution
- Lünecom deploys IPTV solution from ocilion in Northern Germany
- Gigared chooses Appear to deliver to TVs in Argentina
- Kabelnoord extends service to Samsung and LG TVs with 24i
- First football match broadcast over 5G in Portugal
- HD PLUS operator app available on Samsung Smart TVs in Ghana
- More than 11 million addressable TVs for VIZIO in the U.S.
- Viant ad platform integrates TiVo TV viewership data
- WarnerMedia trials national addressable TV with Comscore
- UK broadcasters launch ad campaign measurement tool
- Síminn creating TV bundles using Red Bee Channel Store
- MetaX launches Smart TV commercialization platform
- Only 20% of streaming subscribers content to stay with providers
- Sky NZ selects Intertrust ExpressPlay DRM cloud service
- Evolution Digital Android TV box selected by TDS Telecom