Digital TV News: CRTC
CRTC approves Rogers' acquisition of Shaw's broadcasting services
Mar 24, 2022 – The CRTC has approved Rogers' acquisition of Shaw's broadcasting services, subject to a number of conditions and modifications. The acquisition includes 16 cable services in Western Canada and a national satellite TV service.
News categories: CRTC, Rogers, Shaw, Ian Scott, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite
Rogers to acquire Shaw in $26 billion transaction
Mar 15, 2021 – Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications have reached an agreement for Rogers to acquire all of Shaw’s issued and outstanding Class A and Class B shares in a transaction valued at around $26 billion.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Shaw Communications, Joe Natale, Edward Rogers, Brad Shaw, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite
Canada's CRTC releases Communications Monitoring Report
Nov 8, 2017 – Canadians are increasingly turning to platforms and devices connected to the Internet for their video and audio content, according to the CRTC. Canadians aged 18-34 years old are leading the trend with 23% watching TV exclusively online.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Mobile, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Distributel acquires Canadian IPTV provider Zazeen
Nov 2, 2017 – Distributel Communications has announced that it has received CRTC approval to acquire 100% of Zazeen. Distributel was Canada's first major independent ISP to offer television services, which are now available across Ontario and Quebec.
News categories: Distributel, Zazeen, Matt Stein, Sandro Henriques, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA
Rogers TV subscribers down 13,000 in 4Q 2016
Jan 26, 2017 – Rogers Communications has announced results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2016. Cable revenue increased marginally as internet revenue growth exceeded the decline in Television and Phone revenue.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Cable TV, Canada, Content Distribution, IPTV, Results, Smart Home, Subscribers
Canada pay TV industry announces STB efficiency agreement
Jan 17, 2017 – Canadian Pay TV service providers along with set-top box manufacturers have finalized a voluntary agreement committing themselves to improving the energy efficiency of set-top boxes.
News categories: CEEVA, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box
The CRTC wants Canadians to take back control of their TV services
Nov 21, 2016 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has set out best practices for TV service providers to ensure Canadians are offered real choice regarding their services and have information about their options.
News categories: CRTC, Jean-Pierre Blais, Canada, Digital TV, Regulation
CRTC releases report on the broadcasting sector in Canada
Oct 25, 2016 – Canada's CRTC has released a report that shows how the viewing and listening habits of Canadians are transforming the broadcasting industry. Canadians are consuming more audio and video content on digital media and over devices connected to the Internet.
News categories: CRTC, Jean-Pierre Blais, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers
Pay TV subscriptions continue to decline in Canada
Jul 12, 2016 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has released statistical and financial information on Canadian cable, IPTV and satellite companies for the year ending on August 31, 2015.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
- AMC Networks launches ad-supported version of AMC+
- Xumo launches Pioneer Xumo TVs at Best Buy
- VTV selects ENENSYS for distribution to DVB-T2 transmitters over DTH
- DIAGNAL and Lounges.tv extend technology partnership
- Global FAST revenues to hit $17 billion in 2029
- Videotex India's largest licensee manufacturer of webOS Hub TVs
- Tubi beta tests ChatGPT-powered content discovery
- Amagi partners with TAG Video Systems for FAST channel monitoring
- ViewNexa survey reveals dissatisfaction among streaming subscribers
- Cignal TV taps Quickplay for Pilipinas Live global sports app
- TiVo releases Q2 2023 video trends report
- Ateme powers Viacom18's Indian Premier League UHD experience
- Streaming now most popular TV source in Canada
- Pixalate releases H1 2023 EMEA CTV ad supply chain report
- Mirada to power MNC's Vision+ streaming service in Indonesia
- Munich court rules Netflix infringing Broadcom video patent
- India Smart TV market grew 8% YoY in 1H23
- TV Monaco starts operations supported by Qvest
- Caretta Research: MVPDs must evolve into 'super aggregators'
- Barb upgrades API with BVOD, SVOD, video-sharing and non-TV device data