Digital TV News: ETSI
DVB completes current UHD plan with three specification updates
Oct 26, 2017 – The DVB Technical Module has approved revisions and updates for three specifications. With these chnages – to DVB-DASH, audiovisual coding and bitmapped subtitles – DVB marks the completion of the current generation of UHD specifications.
News categories: DVB Project, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
HbbTV Association publishes IPTV specification
Sep 26, 2017 – The HbbTV Association has announced that it has finalised and published its IPTV Specification. This specification builds on HbbTV 2. The specification defines how HbbTV terminals (e.g. STBs and televisions) can be used with IPTV services.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Klaus Illgner, Digital TV, HbbTV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
DVB approves new subtitling specification
Aug 7, 2017 – The DVB Steering Board has approved a specification for DVB TTML subtitling systems. The specification enables the delivery of next generation subtitles in transport streams for broadcast TV services, based on W3C Timed Text Markup Language (TTML).
News categories: DVB Project, Kevin Murray, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
DVB UHD specification published by ETSI
Mar 2, 2017 – Following the approval by the DVB Steering Board for TS 101 154 V2.3.1 'Specification for the use of Video and Audio Coding in Broadcasting Applications based on the MPEG-2 Transport Stream', ETSI has officially published the DVB specification as an ETSI standard.
News categories: DVB Project, Ken McCann, Virginie Drugeon, Digital TV, Europe, Worldwide
Ultra HD Forum releases updated deployment guidelines
Jan 5, 2017 – The Ultra HD Forum has released version 1.2 of its Ultra HD Phase A industry guidelines. This revision builds on best practices and lessons learned in 2016 and feedback on previous versions of the guidelines.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, Madeleine Noland, CES2020, Digital TV, Smart TV, Worldwide
DVB approves UHD-1 Phase 2 specification
Nov 17, 2016 – The DVB Steering Board has approved the specification for UHD-1 Phase 2 (TS 101 154). The specification guarantees interoperability and enables broadcasters and CE manufacturers to provide UHD-1 Phase 2 products and services.
News categories: DVB Project, Peter MacAvock, David Wood, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
ETSI publishes HbbTV spec for UK and Italy
Sep 6, 2016 – ETSI has published HbbTV 2.0.1 specification TS 102 796 V1.4.1 that will allow the United Kingdom and Italy to transition from MHEG and MHP to the new standard in 2017.
News categories: ETSI, Digital TV, DVB-MHP, HbbTV, Italy, MHEG-5, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
Inview appoints NAGRA for digital TV launch in Nigeria
Jul 6, 2016 – NAGRA (SIX:KUD.S) has been appointed by Inview Nigeria, a subsidiary of Inview Technology Ltd., to secure the Nigerian free-to-air digital TV platform, known as 'Free TV' and support the operator’s transition to digital.
News categories: NAGRA, Inview, Thierry Legrand, Nick Markham, Content Protection, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite, Terrestrial
ETSI unveils Mobile and Broadcast Convergence Industry Specification Group
May 31, 2016 – ETSI has unveiled a new Industry Specification Group, the Mobile and Broadcast Convergence (MBC) ISG. ETSI MBC ISG will explore the deployment and business models of converged networks from the perspectives of all interested parties.
News categories: ETSI, David Hendon, Digital TV, Mobile, Worldwide
- Wicket Labs adds $1.9m of extra funding
- NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
- TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
- Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
- COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues
- iQIYI to launch service experience Testing Stations across Asia
- Switch Media's server-side ad insertion integrated with SpringServe's ad platform
- Verimatrix VCAS pre-integrated with Broadcom's Android TV platform
- Sinclair Broadcast adopts Qligent Vision Compliance Monitoring and Analysis
- Comscore reports surge in U.S. in-home data usage
- Limelight adds serverless computing to its edge services platform
- Disney+ rolls out in Europe
- TV panel shipments decreased 3.5% M-o-M in February
- Connected TV landscape is shifting away from paid subscriptions
- Eros partners with NBCUniversal to launch Eros Now Prime
- Asia Pacific to add 45 million pay TV subscribers over next 5 years
- RDK now on more than 60 million devices
- Disney+ on UK Samsung Smart TVs from 24th March
- COVID-19 to have significant effect on the semiconductor market
- TV3 Group launches Go3 OTT service with Atende Software