Digital TV News: European Broadcasting Union
V-Nova announces PERSEUS video compression technology
Apr 1, 2015 – V-Nova has announced the public release of a number of video compression products based on its PERSEUS technology. PERSEUS offers 2-3x compression gains under practical operating scenarios versus H.264, HEVC and JPEG2000.
News categories: V-Nova, Guido Meardi, Eric Achtmann, Digital TV, Media Player
EBU says LTE not a viable alternative to DTT distribution
Jul 31, 2014 – The EBU has released a report that examines the possibility of delivering broadcast content and services over LTE networks. The report concludes that LTE could be a useful complement to broadcast distribution platforms.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Mobile, Terrestrial, Worldwide
EBU policy statement on Ultra HD TV
Jul 3, 2014 – The EBU has issued a document intended to guide strategic decisions in regard to UHDTV and future TV services. It is addressed at Senior Management of EBU Members and other broadcasters and at anyone who is a stakeholder in the audiovisual content industries.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Digital TV, Europe, Set Top Box, Smart TV, TV Services
HbbTV already supported by 93% of European connected TVs
May 20, 2014 – According to the EBU, 93% of the connected televisions for sale in Europe support HbbTV and HbbTV services are being deployed by broadcasters throughout Europe.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Europe, HbbTV, Market Research, Smart TV
EBU publishes specification for subtitle distribution
Jan 30, 2014 – The EBU has published a new specification for the distribution of subtitles. The XML based EBU-TT-D format is a low-complexity way to combine subtitle text, styling, timing information, and positioning details.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV
EBU project targets cross-platform authentication
Aug 12, 2013 – While the growth of internet-connected TV and radio receivers has opened up many new possibilities for online and hybrid services, authentication remains a blocking point. A solution to this problem would unlock the potential for a minor revolution in the usually anonymous world of broadcasting.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Content Protection, Digital TV, Europe, TV Services
Subjective testing confirms importance of frame rate for UHDTV
Aug 7, 2013 – The EBU's Broadcast Technology Futures (BTF) group is conducting a series of subjective tests at IRT's facilities. Early results give a clear indication that higher frame rates are appreciated by the observers, to a significantly greater extent than increased resolution.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Sony to show 4K Ultra HD at MIPTV
Apr 3, 2013 – As part of its 50th anniversary theme of Screening the Future, MIPTV has partnered with Sony Corporation to present what will be the next game-changing innovation in television's evolution, ultra-high-definition. MIPTV will take place in Cannes, 8-11 April 2013.
News categories: MIPTV, Sony Corp, Content Distribution, TV Services
EBU Initiates First Large Scale MPEG-DASH Trial For London Olympics
Jul 31, 2012 – The commercial deployment of the MPEG-DASH standard is one step closer with the first live public trial. The DASH Promoters Group is facilitating live MPEG-DASH streaming of the 2012 London Olympics to demonstrate the benefits of the standard.
News categories: Belgium, Digital TV, Streaming
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product
- Comcast launches Smart TVs based on its XClass TV platform
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil