Digital TV News: GET
Kineton and SmarDTV demonstrate OpApp & CAM at 9th HbbTV Symposium
Nov 24, 2021 – Kineton and SmarDTV Global have demonstrated, during the 9th HbbTV Symposium, a Smart TV combined with an HbbTV OpApp. The installation of the HbbTV OpApp is automatically launched by a CAM, with the OpApp fully operator branded.
News categories: SmarDTV, Kineton, Erik Gazzoni, Giuseppe Aprea, Apps, CAM, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, Smart TV
Irdeto launches CAM-based HbbTV OpApp solution
Nov 25, 2021 – Irdeto has launched the Irdeto Operator Application (Irdeto OpApp). The Irdeto OpApp is an HbbTV OpApp hosted on Irdeto's CI Plus CAMs, enabling pay TV operators to deliver a consistent branded experience across different TV marques.
News categories: Irdeto, Shane McCarthy, Apps, CAM, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, Smart TV
TV shipments expected to undergo 12.4% YoY decline in 2H 2021
Nov 22, 2021 – Quarterly TV shipment for 3Q21 reached 52.51 million units, representing an 8.3% QoQ increase but a 14.7% YoY decrease, according to TrendForce. Demand for TVs was constrained by the increase in various country’s vaccination rates as well as rising retail prices for TV sets.
News categories: TrendForce, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
In-person IBC 2021 cancelled
Nov 23, 2021 – IBC has announced that the in person IBC2021 event has been cancelled. The move follows growing concerns about the COVID-19 situation in The Netherlands, which has deteriorated over the past week, and feedback from the IBC exhibitor and visitor community.
News categories: IBC, COVID-19, Digital TV, IBC2021, Netherlands, Worldwide
CommScope selected to provide Foxtel's iQ5 streaming STB
Nov 22, 2021 – CommScope has been selected by Foxtel to provide its iQ5 streaming set top box. Through the iQ5, viewers can access streaming apps from Foxtel including Netflix, YouTube, ABC iView, SBS On Demand, Amazon Prime, Vevo, and coming soon, Paramount+ and 10Play.
News categories: CommScope, Foxtel, Phil Cardy, Nick Dandy, Australia, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming
Vestel migrates Smart TVs to EPG metadata from Simply.TV
Nov 22, 2021 – Vestel and Simply.TV has entered into a multi-year EPG agreement for all Vestel-produced smart TVs. Simply.TV has migrated Vestel's EPG operations for more than 50 territories with interfaces now powered by rich and consistent metadata.
News categories: Simply.TV, Vestel, Daniel Rühmann, Barış Altınkaya, Big Data, Digital TV, Europe, Smart TV
Crackle Plus improves content discoverability with Gracenote
Nov 18, 2021 – Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (Nasdaq: CSSE) has announced that Crackle Plus will use Gracenote (NYSE: NLSN) entertainment metadata and Gracenote IDs to make Crackle, Popcornflix and Chicken Soup for the Soul streaming service titles more searchable and discoverable.
News categories: Crackle, Gracenote, Philippe Guelton, Simon Adams, Big Data, Digital TV, Streaming, USA, UX
24i powers launch of Cinessance in North America
Nov 18, 2021 – Aferian has announced that 24i has supported the launch of OTT service Cinessance in the US and Canada on iOS and Android. The service is built on cloud-based infrastructure from 24i, including video backend, apps, and content and app management.
News categories: 24i, Cinessance, Joachim Bergman, Clément Monnet, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, North America, Streaming
Sky New Zealand announces Android TV STB development partners
Nov 17, 2021 – Sky New Zealand has announced partners for the development of its new Android TV-based Sky Box, due for deployment by the middle of 2022. Sky has selected Wyplay, Irdeto and Kaonmedia to provide components of the box's software and hardware.
News categories: Sky New Zealand, Wyplay, Kaonmedia, Irdeto, Sophie Moloney, Jacques Bourgninaud, John Chung Yoon, Shane McCarthy, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box
- Kineton and SmarDTV demonstrate OpApp & CAM at 9th HbbTV Symposium
- Irdeto launches CAM-based HbbTV OpApp solution
- South African government provides update on analogue switch-off
- Nielsen to enhance TV measurement with individual commercial metrics
- DVB releases first 8K UHD video delivery specifications
- TV shipments expected to undergo 12.4% YoY decline in 2H 2021
- Megacable selects STB management solution from Axiros
- Orange Belgium in negotiations with Nethys to acquire 75% of VOO SA
- One million Android TV Operator Tier deployments for Mirada
- MediaTek 8K TV SoC first in 7-nanometer at TSMC
- In-person IBC 2021 cancelled
- CommScope selected to provide Foxtel's iQ5 streaming STB
- Vestel migrates Smart TVs to EPG metadata from Simply.TV
- Prime Video now available to Movistar+ customers
- Crackle Plus improves content discoverability with Gracenote
- MediaTek launches Pentonic smart TV family with 8K 120Hz IC
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost around 650,000 subscribers in 3Q 2021
- 24i powers launch of Cinessance in North America
- Broadpeak cancels in-person participation at IBC
- M3 selects XroadMedia for personalized OTT service in Russia