Digital TV News: Kwesé
iflix subscriber numbers up 250% in 1H 2018
Jul 16, 2018 – iflix has announced that it now has more than 15 million subscribers to its service, on the back of 250% growth since January 2018. The first half of 2018 has been a period of significant change for iflix as the service evolves away from the traditional Western SVOD model.
News categories: iflix, Mark Britt, Africa, Asia, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT, Results, Subscribers
Africa to reach 10 million SVOD subscribers by 2023
Jun 26, 2018 – Digital TV Research has forecast that there will be 9.99 million SVOD subscribers across Sub-Saharan Africa by 2023, up from 1.56 million at the end of 2017. However, revenues will only be $775 million as some platforms are very cheap.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Kwesé iflix launches in Zimbabwe
May 31, 2018 – Kwesé iflix has launched an entertainment platform that will bring live coverage of all 64 FIFA 2018 World Cup games, and thousands of premier entertainment programmes, to millions of Zimbabweans via its new mobile app.
News categories: Kwesé, iflix, Econet Wireless, Kwesé iflix, Joseph Hundah, Mark Britt, Douglas Mboweni, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Zimbabwe
Kwesé brings OTT to Africa thanks to tucano back-end
Apr 5, 2018 – Alpha Networks has announced the launch of two products by Kwesé for the African market. Kwesé Play is the first Roku video solution launched by any operator in African territory. Kwesé TV is a new OTT user experience offered to existing DTH users.
News categories: Alpha Networks, Econet Media, Kris Warreyn, Joseph Hundah, Africa, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box
Pay TV subscribers in Africa to grow 74% between 2017 and 2023
Jan 8, 2018 – The number of pay TV subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will increase by 74% between 2017 and 2023 to reach 40.89 million. However, Digital TV Research estimates that subscriber growth will outstrip revenue progress.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, DRC, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda
Mediaproxy provides compliance, monitoring and analysis for Kwesé TV
Oct 9, 2017 – Mediaproxy has announced that Econet Media has chosen its unified broadcast compliance, monitoring and analysis solution for Kwesé TV. Mediaproxy software is enabling Kwesé TV to ensure delivery of its pay-TV service to consumers in Ghana, Rwanda, Zambia, and Kenya.
News categories: Mediaproxy, Econet Media, Mark Horchler, David Alpert, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, QoE, Rwanda, Satellite, Zambia
Kwesé unveils the first ‘pay-as-you-watch’ TV bouquet in Kenya
Oct 5, 2017 – Econet Media has unveiled its satellite bouquet Kwesé TV in Kenya. Kwesé TV is currently available both in urban centres and rural areas throughout the country and includes a free 30 day subscription for new subscribers.
News categories: Kwesé, Kennedy Ojung’a, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite
Pay TV market in Africa at 23.7 million subscribers
Oct 4, 2017 – Dataxis’ latest research sheds light on the steady expansion of the Pay TV market in Africa. Based on data for the second quarter of 2017, the total number of Pay TV subscribers reached approximately 23.7 million.
News categories: Dataxis, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Roku powers Kwesé Play streaming platform in Africa
Sep 14, 2017 – Roku and Econet Media have announced that the companies have entered a Roku Powered license agreement for the launch of streaming TV service Kwesé Play. The Kwesé Play service and streaming player are now available in South Africa.
News categories: Roku, Econet Media, Andrew Ferrone, Joseph Hundah, Apps, Digital TV, IBC2019, OTT, Set Top Box, South Africa
- NCTC to offer discounted Amazon Fire TV devices to members
- Viu reaches 41.4 million monthly active users
- Roku ends 2019 with 36.9 million active accounts
- Online viewing continues to gain ground on traditional broadcast TV
- Vianeos provides revamped UX for Batelco TV in Bahrain
- VUALTO partners with ATEME for automated encoder integration
- STV selects Arqiva Hybrid TV Service for HD restart feature
- AfricaXP adds DTH capacity from Eutelsat for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 44k in 4Q 2019
- 'Tapering subscriber acquisitions' for Dish TV India in 4Q 2019
- Movistar Spain launches new voice remote control
- Irdeto confirmed as security partner for Mitele Plus
- Swedish streaming market saturating
- Tubi monthly active users grow to 25 million
- beIN SPORTS strikes partnership with XUMO TV
- Cinedigm’s Viewster app available on Foxxum-supporting devices
- Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
- beIN SPORTS XTRA added to Samsung TV Plus
- Sinclair Broadcast joins Pearl TV broadcast business organization
- WISI ABR transcoding approved for Minerva YourTV Now cloud video