Digital TV News: Michael Inouye
70% of Ultra HD TVs to feature HDR or other enhancements by 2020
May 15, 2015 – ABI Research expects that by 2020 nearly 70% of UHD TVs will support new technologies and enhancements like HDR, wider color gamut, high frame rates, and immersive audio. This could prove too conservative if a lower tier of UHD TVs does not persist as currently anticipated.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
TV and movies, not short-form video, to drive online video market
Jan 16, 2015 – According to ABI Research, the online video market is expected to reach over US$56 billion by 2019, with a 6 year CAGR of 23.1%. Short-form video is expected to make up US$13 billion of the total.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Mobiles with 4K screens to reach 478m units by 2019
Aug 15, 2014 – 2015 will see the launch of 4K/Ultra HD mobile devices. Considering the relatively close proximity of the screen to the user it is possible for some consumers to see and benefit from these higher resolutions.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Home security and home automation opportunity for pay TV operators
Jun 3, 2014 – Home security and home automation represent opportunity for pay TV operators. Nearly 30% of North American households are expected to have a managed smart home automation system installed by 2019, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Gateway, Market Research, Middleware, Smart Home, Worldwide
Global VOD/EST and DVD/Blu-ray sales to pass $43Bn in 2019
May 1, 2014 – Worldwide VOD rentals (OTT and pay TV operator), electronic sell-through (EST), and DVD/Blu-ray disc sales are expected to grow 40% from 2013 to 2019 – growing from USD 30.6B in 2013 to over 43B in 2019.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Blu-ray, Cable TV, DVD, IPTV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Satellite, Worldwide
Global home network penetration to pass 33% by 2018
Apr 9, 2014 – Worldwide home network penetration is expected to climb from 24.8% in 2013 to 33.2% by 2018, according to ABI Research. Growth is driven by the continued spread of broadband services and demand for multiscreen video.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Two-in-five Pay TV households to have STB apps by 2019
Feb 28, 2014 – In 2013 ABI Research estimates one out of every ten pay TV households had access to applications on the set-top box. By 2019 nearly 40% of pay TV households should have access to similar services and features.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Mobile video growth to continue to outpace viewing on connected CE
Feb 10, 2014 – Despite continued growth of online video viewing on connected CE devices and excitement from new platforms, annual increases in mobile online viewing are higher than any other category, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
North America to be first to 5% 4K TV household penetration
Nov 6, 2013 – Asia-Pacific, notably, China, is expected to lead 4K (or Ultra HD) TV unit shipments. However, the North American market is anticipated to be the first region to eclipse 5% (in 2017) and 10% (by end of 2018) of TV households, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
- MENA pay TV revenues continue to fall
- FCA first automotive OEM with Alexa Custom Assistant
- Firstlight Media and NPAW optimise CDN switching for OTT providers
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue up 7.3% in 2020
- Kantar expands TV audience measurement panel in Georgia
- TDS introduces live, streaming TV product
- LG announces 2021 NEXTGEN TVs
- GTPL Hathway digital CATV subscribers unchanged YoY at 7.35 million
- Nordic consumers’ media spend unaffected by the pandemic
- Amazon launches mobile-only video plan in India
- VUALTO event orchestration and DRM chosen for ITV Hub VOD delivery
- Nielsen now tracking premium theatrical films on VOD platforms
- rlaxx TV now available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV
- SK Broadband selects NAGRA forensic watermarking for IPTV STBs
- MovieLabs updates Enhanced Content Protection specification
- 24i integrates Float Left Roku framework with its app platform