Digital TV News: Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
Jun 30, 2020 – According to TRAI, Pay DTH had an average active subscriber base of 69.98 million at 31st December 2019. At the same time there were 13 MSOs and 1 HITS operator with a subscriber base of more than one million.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Satellite, Subscribers
Reliance BIG TV to be acquired by Pantel & Veecon Media and Television
Nov 27, 2017 – Reliance Communications (RCOM) has entered into a binding Share Purchase Agreement with Pantel Technologies and Veecon Media & Television for the sale of its subsidiary Reliance BIG TV Limited (RBTV), engaged in the business of DTH TV services across India.
News categories: Reliance Communications, Pantel Technologies, Vijender Singh, Digital TV, India, MandA, Satellite
India revises timeline for Cable TV Digitization
Dec 23, 2016 – India's Ministry of Information & Broadcasting is extending the cut-off date for Phase IV of Cable TV Digitization to 31st March, 2017 due to uncertainty in the market caused by pending court cases and slow progress in STB installation.
News categories: I&B Ministry, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Set Top Box
Videocon d2h adds 0.43 million net subscribers in 4Q 2015
Jan 28, 2016 – Videocon d2h (NASDAQ: VDTH) has announced its financial results for the quarter ended December 31, 2015. The Company added 0.67 million gross subscribers and 0.43 million net subscribers during the quarter.
News categories: Videocon d2h, Anil Khera, India, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
Cable TV in India to be digital from January 1, 2016
Dec 8, 2015 – The cut-off date in India's television digitalisation plan for urban areas is 31st December 2015, after which no analogue signal transmission or re-transmission of TV channels will be permitted by law.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Regulation
Hinduja receives operating licence for NXT DIGITAL Headend-In-The-Sky
Sep 8, 2015 – India's Ministry of Information & Communications Technology has issued a Wireless Operating License (WOL) to Grant Investrade, a subsidiary of Hinduja Ventures for their NXT DIGITAL Headend-In-The-Sky service. The WOL is the final regulatory step before making HITS operational.
News categories: Hinduja, A K Das, Tony D’Silva, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India, Satellite
55% TV digitisation target achieved in India's Phase II cities
Mar 1, 2013 – A review by India's Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has shown that a digitisation rate of over 55% has been achieved in the 38 cities set for digitisation by March 31, 2013. A total of 8.77 million set-top boxes have been installed.
News categories: Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box
Modification in India's Switchover Date to Digital Cable TV
Jun 20, 2012 – The installation of digital cable set-top boxes in India's four metros of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai will not meet the mandated deadline of June 30th, 2012. The governement has therefore set a new deadline of October 31st, 2012.
News categories: Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Set Top Box
Tribunal orders DTH STB interoperability in India
Jun 19, 2011 – India's Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has called for laying down technology standards that would pave the way for technical and commercial interoperability of the Set Top Boxes (STBs) of Direct-To-Home (DTH) operators.
News categories: TDSAT, CAM, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Satellite, Set Top Box
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement
- 76% of SVOD services to introduce ads in the next two years
- Free, ad-supported streaming takes off in the U.S.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services
- Canela Media chooses Amagi for FAST content monetization
- SES in discussions regarding possible combination with Intelsat
- Comscore expands 48-hour television reporting
- TCCL deploys iWedia Android TV Custom Launcher
- LiveU joins AWS Partner Network
- 63% of rural Americans bundle internet and TV