Digital TV News: Ofcom
UK: TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time
Jul 18, 2018 – The number of UK subscriptions to television streaming services like Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay television for the first time. The findings are part of Ofcom’s Media Nations report, a study of major trends in the UK’s television, radio and audio sectors.
News categories: Ofcom, Sharon White, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Ofcom publishes International Communications Market Report 2017
Dec 18, 2017 – This is the twelfth year in which Ofcom has published the International Communications Market Report, which provides comparative international data on the communications sector. The report compares industry structures and consumer outcomes in the UK with those in 16 comparator countries.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, Market Research, UK, Worldwide
UK is the most advanced connected TV advertising market in Europe
Sep 8, 2017 – SpotX has unveiled research into the connected TV advertising ecosystem in Europe. The analysis shows that the UK is the largest and most advanced market in Europe with an established connected TV advertising ecosystem.
News categories: SpotX, MTM, Leon Siotis, Nick Thomas, Advertising, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, UK
Ofcom releases annual Communications Market Report
Aug 3, 2017 – BBC iPlayer is the most popular on-demand service in the UK with 63% of adults saying they use it, followed by ITV Hub at 40% and then YouTube at 38% and Netflix at 31%. The findings are part of Ofcom’s annual Communications Market Report 2017.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
TV accounts for 94% of UK video advertising
Mar 9, 2017 – An analysis by Thinkbox of 2016 video consumption in the UK shows how total video viewing – and viewing of video advertising – breaks down.
News categories: Thinkbox, Lindsey Clay, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Ofcom publishes UK Communications Market report 2016
Aug 4, 2016 – The UK’s communications regulator, Ofcom, has published its annual Communications Market report for 2016. More than half of UK adults (59%) used a video-on-demand (VoD) service during 2015 – up from 57% in 2014.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial, UK
56% of UK TV homes had a connected TV at the end of 2014
Aug 6, 2015 – The UK’s communications regulator, Ofcom, has published its annual Communications Market report for 2015. According to the survey, over half (56%) of UK TV homes had a TV connected to the internet, either via a set-top box or a smart TV, at the end of 2014.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
Over 100 million Freeview-capable devices sold in UK
May 12, 2015 – Freeview in the UK has passed the 100 million mark for the number of DTT TVs and boxes sold since its launch in 2002. The figure includes all televisions, set-top boxes and DVD and Blu-ray devices with an inbuilt Freeview DVB-T SD or HD tuner.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Freesat 4K STB receives EICS certification with DTG Testing
- Cox Media Group Local Solutions partners with Amazon Advertising
- Samba TV announces global TV viewership dashboard
- Sky Brasil's SKY Connect 4K Android TV DVR powered by Wyplay
- NBCUniversal adopts Ad-ID for its One Platform
- Redbox to expand free live TV content with Wurl
- ThinkAnalytics rebrands its suite as 'Think360'
- Grupo Werthein to buy AT&T's Vrio operations
- ITV and Sky upgrade their commercial partnership
- TCL passes TÜV Rheinland ETSI EN 303 645 test for IoT devices
- OFIVE TV partners with Amagi for distribution to FAST platforms
- Comscore provides audience measurement currency to Spectrum Reach
- Global Smart TV household ownership to exceed 50% by 2026
- Innovid quantifies CTV impact on advertising in the U.S.
- HbbTV releases Targeted Advertising specification for TV sets in STB markets
- TheViewPoint supports OTT monetization at Caracol TV
- Altice USA introduces Optimum and Suddenlink 4K streaming device
- ThinkAnalytics integrates Gracenote Personalized Imagery
- CNN+ streaming service to launch in Q1 2022
- Verimatrix CA chosen for digital TV switchover initiative in Nigeria