Digital TV News: Ovum
Amazon and partners announce Voice Interoperability Initiative
Sep 24, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and leading technology companies have announced the Voice Interoperability Initiative, a program to ensure voice-enabled products provide customers with choice and flexibility through multiple, interoperable voice services.
News categories: Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Three UK to launch 5G network in August
Jun 10, 2019 – Following trials with customers in London, Three UK has announced that it will launch 5G in August with a 5G home broadband service in London. Three will then launch both mobile and home broadband offerings in 25 towns and cities across the UK before the end of the year.
News categories: Three UK, Dave Dyson, 5G, Content Distribution, Mobile, UK
5G will drive new revenues in Media and Entertainment by 2028
Oct 11, 2018 – According to a report commissioned by Intel and conducted by Ovum, it is forecast that over the next decade (2019-2028) media and entertainment companies will be competing to win a share of a near $3 trillion cumulative wireless revenue opportunity.
News categories: Intel Corp, Ovum, Jonathan Wood, Ed Barton, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
U.S. subscriber declines spreading from voice to TV, broadband
Dec 6, 2016 – Ovum has released 3Q16 subscriber growth figures for fixed voice, fixed broadband, and pay TV for the US. Ovum notes that a triple cord-cutting threat – the loss of subscribers in all three core fixed services – continues to loom.
News categories: Ovum, Kristin Paulin, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Subscribers, USA
G.fast set for nearly 29 million end users by 2021
Oct 17, 2016 – An Ovum report jointly commissioned by nbn and BT has predicted that new ultra-fast copper technology G.fast will be serving nearly 30 million subscriber homes and businesses around the world by 2021.
News categories: Ovum, nbn, Openreach, Matthew Howett, Dennis Steiger, Clive Selley, BBWF, Broadband, Market Research, Worldwide
Western Europe pay-TV successfully fighting off the OTT challenge
Oct 5, 2016 – New research from Ovum shows that Western Europe’s pay-TV markets continue to grow, successfully fighting off the challenge posed by OTT video and the region’s free-to-air TV offerings.
News categories: Ovum, Adam Steel, Tony Gunnarsson, Adam Thomas, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Streaming
Huawei and OVUM release 'Big Video' report
Aug 29, 2016 – Huawei and OVUM have jointly released a report covering the current situation for telcos providing video services for the entertainment and communications markets, as well as vertical industry segments.
News categories: Huawei, OVUM, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
Pay TV and FTA TV will survive SVOD boom in Australia
Dec 8, 2015 – Australian subscriptions to streaming video on demand (SVOD) services – like Netflix, Presto and Stan – will grow by a factor of 17 between the end of 2014 and the end of 2019, according to new forecasts by Ovum.
News categories: Ovum, David Kennedy, Australia, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Telcos becoming established players in the pay-TV market
Nov 11, 2015 – Operations owned or controlled by telcos accounted for 140 million retail pay-TV customer connections globally at the end of 2014 and this total soared to 177 million during 2015, according to Ovum.
News categories: Ovum, Jonathan Doran, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
- A quarter of U.S. households subscribe to broadband but not Pay TV
- Wurl offers global FAST channel distribution for content companies
- Accedo and Nreal bring streaming to lightweight AR glasses
- HBO up 1.9 million; Vrio down 178,000 video subs in 3Q 2021
- RTL Group and Amobee to form TechAlliance addressable TV JV
- Claro Box TV streaming in Colombia powered by Harmonic
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 68,000 in 3Q 2021
- Vodafone España provides real-time accurate EPG with Alpha Networks and MediaData TV
- Vewd and Mediatek bring entertainment to vehicle rear-seats
- Conviva expands into advertising audience measurement
- C Spire to acquire Troy Cablevision
- Software Freedom Conservancy sues Vizio for GPL violations
- Altibox Android TV service goes live with 3SS and Technicolor
- Sunrise UPC launches yallo TV in Switzerland
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada