Digital TV News: QUALCOMM
IFA 2020 to go-ahead as an invitation-only event in Berlin
May 19, 2020 – IFA has been given the go-ahead to take place in 2020 as a real-life event in Berlin. Taking place over just three days – from 3 to 5 September – the invite-only event will put strict limits on the number of attendees and focus on IFA’s four global core functions.
News categories: IFA Berlin, Jens Heithecker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Germany, IFA
Huawei, Qualcomm and Samsung welcome release of MPEG-5 EVC standard
May 8, 2020 – Huawei, Qualcomm and Samsung have welcomed the release of MPEG-5 Essential Video Coding (EVC) – a new video coding standard designed to meet both the business and technical needs of the media industry.
News categories: Huawei, Qualcomm, Samsung, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Worldwide semiconductor revenue declined 12% in 2019
Apr 15, 2020 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $419.1 billion in 2019, down 12% from 2018, according to Gartner. Intel regained the No. 1 position in the market as the downturn in the memory market negatively impacted many of the top vendors.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Pixelworks and Qualcomm integrate Live Local TV with 5G broadband
Feb 18, 2020 – Pixelworks (NASDAQ: PXLW) is working with Qualcomm on a 5G-based fixed wireless access CPE platform. The joint reference solution will combine Pixelworks’ OTA streaming XCode® processor with the Qualcomm Snapdragon™ X55 5G Modem-RF System.
News categories: Pixelworks, Qualcomm, Anthony Gioeli, Gautam Sheoran, 5G, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Streaming, Terrestrial, USA
2020 will be the year of Direct-to-Consumer OTT video
Jan 8, 2020 – 2020 will represent a profound step toward a future where more OTT content goes Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) and video on demand reaches 900 million subscriptions worldwide, states global tech market advisory firm, ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Khin Sandi Lynn, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Streaming, Worldwide
LG and Qualcomm join forces on automotive infotainment
Oct 30, 2019 – LG and Qualcomm have announced plans to work together to further develop webOS Auto, LG’s connected in-vehicle infotainment system. The companies aim to create and advance a more convenient in-car experience for drivers and passengers alike.
News categories: LG Electronics, Qualcomm, Dr. I.P. Park, Jim Cathey, Digital TV, In-Car, Semiconductor, UX, Worldwide
Amazon and partners announce Voice Interoperability Initiative
Sep 24, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and leading technology companies have announced the Voice Interoperability Initiative, a program to ensure voice-enabled products provide customers with choice and flexibility through multiple, interoperable voice services.
News categories: Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
Jul 16, 2019 – Research from Strategy Analytics shows that 45 million PCs and tablets globally will incorporate 5G connectivity by 2023, offering mobile operators a fresh opportunity to sell the advantages and new use cases of high-speed cellular connectivity.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Mercer, 5G, Market Research, Tablet, Worldwide
Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 12.5% in 2018
Apr 11, 2019 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $474.6 billion in 2018, a 12.5% increase from 2017, according to final results by Gartner. 2018 growth was weaker than the previous year (21.9%) due to memory growth slowing to 24.9% versus 2017 growth of 61.8%.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product
- Comcast launches Smart TVs based on its XClass TV platform
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil