Digital TV News: SmartThings
Samsung joins Home Connectivity Alliance
Jan 5, 2022 – Samsung has announced its membership in the Home Connectivity Alliance (HCA). The alliance brings together leading manufacturers of connected devices to enhance the compatibility of smart appliances across brands.
News categories: Samsung, Home Connectivity Alliance, Chanwoo Park, Yoon Ho Choi, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
Connectivity Standards Alliance announces smart home protocol
May 11, 2021 – The Connectivity Standards Alliance (CSA), formerly known as the Zigbee Alliance, has announced Matter – the interoperable, secure connectivity standard for the future of the smart home.
News categories: Connectivity Standards Alliance, Tobin Richardson, Bruno Vulcano, David Shearer, Jim Kitchen, George Yianni, Samantha Osborne, Alex Yang, Smart Home, Worldwide
Amazon, Apple, Google and Zigbee Alliance form Smart Home working group
Dec 18, 2019 – Amazon, Apple, Google and the Zigbee Alliance have created a working group that plans to develop and promote the adoption of a new, royalty-free connectivity standard to increase compatibility among smart home products, with security as a fundamental design tenet.
News categories: Zigbee Alliance, Google, Apple, Amazon, Smart Home, Worldwide
Samsung provides Tizen update at SDC19
Oct 29, 2019 – At SDC19, Samsung announced AI ScaleNet, a way to stream 8K videos on networks with lower bandwidth capabilities. Samsung also announced tools that make it easier for developers to bring new experiences to Smart TVs powered by Tizen.
News categories: Samsung, DJ Koh, Digital TV, Mobile, Smart Home, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
Plume and Samsung launch OpenSync open source initiative
Oct 23, 2018 – Plume and Samsung have announced the formation of an open source software initiative called OpenSync. The initiative creates a silicon, CPE, and cloud-agnostic approach for the curation, delivery and management of emerging residential services leveraging managed Wi-Fi.
News categories: Plume, Samsung, Liberty Global, Fahri Diner, Chanwoo Park, Dan Hennessy, Shawn Omstead, Fraser Stirling, Greg Fischer, BBWF, Middleware, Smart Home, Worldwide
Smart home device shipments to grow 55% in 2018
Oct 18, 2018 – According to ABI Research, shipments of smart home devices will reach 252 million units by the end of 2018, up more than 55% from 2017. This growth is just the beginning of a smart home market that will see 467 million smart home device shipments in 2023.
News categories: ABI Research, Jonathan Collins, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
NVIDIA launches new SHIELD TV streamer
Jan 4, 2017 – NVIDIA has unveiled NVIDIA SHIELD TV, an Android open-platform media streamer built on bleeding-edge visual computing technology that delivers unmatched experiences in streaming, gaming and AI.
News categories: NVIDIA, Google, Jen-Hsun Huang, Sascha Prueter, Android TV, Canada, CES2023, Digital TV, Europe, Gaming, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, USA
Seiki, Westinghouse and Element Electronics introduce Amazon Fire Smart TVs
Jan 3, 2017 – Seiki, Westinghouse Electronics and Element Electronics have announced at CES 2017 a line of 4K Ultra HD Smart TVs – Amazon Fire TV Edition, featuring the Amazon Fire TV experience and support for a voice remote with Amazon Alexa.
News categories: Seiki, Amazon, Element Electronics, Westinghouse, Sung Choi, Marc Whitten, CES2023, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
Samsung entire 2016 Smart TV line-up to be IoT-ready
Dec 29, 2015 – Samsung has announced that its entire 2016 Smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and connected with the SmartThings platform. SmartThings is an open platform that allows users to connect, manage and control smart devices and IoT services.
News categories: Samsung, SmartThings, Hyun Suk Kim, Alex Hawkinson, CES2023, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden
- CTV surpasses mobile's share of global video impressions
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
- European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
- 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in 1Q 2022
- Gaumont launches SVOD on Netgem Content-as-a-Service platform
- AMC+ coming to Orange Spain's entertainment offering in June
- Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022