Digital TV News: Softbank
NVIDIA’s acquisition of Arm called off
Feb 8, 2022 – NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) and SoftBank have announced the termination of the previously announced transaction whereby NVIDIA would acquire Arm from SoftBank. The parties agreed to terminate the agreement because of significant regulatory challenges.
News categories: SoftBank, NVIDIA, Arm Limited, Masayoshi Son, Jensen Huang, Digital TV, MandA, Semiconductor, Silicon IP
Televisa to merge media, content and production assets with Univision
Apr 13, 2021 – Grupo Televisa and Univision Holdings have agreed to combine Televisa’s content and media assets with Univision to create the largest Spanish-language media company in the world: Televisa-Univision.
News categories: Univision, Televisa, Wade Davis, Marcelo Claure, Emilio Azcárraga, Bernardo Gómez, Digital TV, Latin America, MandA, USA
Asia Pacific online video to reach $55 billion by 2025
Jan 11, 2021 – Media Partners Asia (MPA) has reported that the Asia Pacific online video industry grew revenue by 14% Y/Y in 2020 to reach US$30.5 billion. SVOD overtook AVOD to contribute 53% of total revenues; AVOD contributed 47%.
News categories: Media Partners Asia, Vivek Couto, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming
YouVue launches 3D sharing platform
Dec 19, 2019 – YouVue has launched a 3D sharing platform that will provide immersive viewing on any device, anywhere in the world. Unlike other 3D offerings, YouVue streams photorealistic experiences from any 3D media source to be consumed on everyday mobile devices.
News categories: YouVue, Joe Mikhail, Conrad Burke, Digital TV, Metaverse, Mobile, Worldwide
IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan
Oct 14, 2019 – GlobalData expects that a rise in IPTV subscriptions and increasing ARPU will drive growth in pay-TV service revenues in Japan through 2023. Fixed broadband expansion and rising adoption of OTT services will also increase revenue.
News categories: GlobalData, Hrushikesh Mahananda, Broadband, Digital TV, Japan, Market Research
Eleven Sports launches new streaming service in Japan
Mar 14, 2019 – Eleven Sports has announced the launch of a new streaming service in Japan. Launching on 16 March, the new service will stream live action from the local Eastern and Western League of the NPB Farm Leagues, Japan’s minor league baseball competitions.
News categories: Eleven Sports, Suhyeon Cho, Anouk Mertens, Digital TV, Japan, Streaming
SoftBank and Netflix Japan announce partnership
Aug 24, 2015 – SoftBank and Netflix have announced that SoftBank will offer an integrated Netflix experience when Netflix Japan launches. Customers will be able to sign-up using their Softbank account and have Netflix' monthly fee added to their bill.
News categories: Netflix, SoftBank, Digital TV, Japan, Streaming
MobiTV selected for TV Bank multiscreen service in Japan
Nov 17, 2014 – MobiTV and TV Bank have announced a partnership to leverage MobiTV's software-based platform and NetDVR (nDVR) technology to extend TV services across screens. The service will enable a robust entertainment experience on connected devices.
News categories: MobiTV, TV Bank, Charlie Nooney, Tomotaka Nakagawa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile, Streaming
Softbank launches BBTV Next streaming TV service
Nov 17, 2014 – Softbank subsidiary TV Bank has announced the launch of BBTV Next in Japan. The service is available via apps for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones as well as using a PC.
News categories: Softbank, TV Bank, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile, Streaming
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
- Bouygues Telecom streams video in Multicast ABR with Broadpeak
- iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
- Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
- Avid provides Iceland's RÚV with ingest and playout solution
- Global pay TV penetration to fall for the first time in 2024