Digital TV News: Sony
12.5m consumer VR headsets to be sold in 2022
Nov 17, 2022 – Consumer VR will be worth $6.9bn in 2022, increasing to $20bn in 2027, according to Omdia. In the face of macroeconomic challenges, the market continues to expand, with 12.5 million headsets expected to be sold in 2022.
News categories: Omdia, George Jijiashvili, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Sky's NOW streaming service comes to Android TV
Nov 8, 2022 – Sky has announced that its streaming service NOW has been made available on Google TV devices, including Chromecast with Google TV, and on eight UK smart TV brands as it expands to Android TV OS devices.
News categories: NOW, Marina Storti, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, TV OS, UK
Dish TV India launches one-stop OTT entertainment platform
Oct 31, 2022 – Dish TV's Watcho offers packages of the most popular OTT platforms - Disney+ Hotstar, Zee5, Sony LIV, Lionsgate Play, Hungama Play, HoiChoi, Klikk, EpicOn, Chaupal, and Oho Gujarati - via a single login and subscription model.
News categories: Watcho, Dish TV India, Sukhpreet Singh, Anil Dua, Digital TV, India, Streaming
QYOU Media India grows reach and revenue with Amagi
Oct 27, 2022 – Amagi has announced that QYOU Media India, which produces and distributes content created by social media and digital content stars, has partnered with Amagi to grow its viewership and ad-based revenue in India.
News categories: Amagi, QYOU Media, Srinivasan KA, Krishna Menon, Advertising, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India, Streaming
Pearl TV program to accelerate development of NEXTGEN TV dongles
Oct 18, 2022 – Pearl TV has developed a FastTrack program to accelerate development and retail availability of low-cost upgrade accessory receivers, for the 91% of U.S. households that have displays with an HDMI input, but are not equipped with NEXTGEN TV technology.
News categories: Pearl TV, Anne Schelle, Rob Folliard, ATSC 3, Digital TV, NABShow, Set Top Box, USA
ZEE shareholders approve proposed merger with Sony Pictures Networks India
Oct 14, 2022 – Equity shareholders of ZEE Entertainment (ZEEL) have approved the proposed merger of ZEEL and Bangla Entertainment with and into Culver Max Entertainment (formerly Sony Pictures Networks India).
News categories: ZEE Entertainment, Sony Pictures Networks India, Punit Goenka, Digital TV, India, MandA, Streaming
Roku introduces The Roku Channel in Mexico
Oct 13, 2022 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced the arrival of The Roku Channel in Mexico. The Roku Channel is a free streaming channel available on Roku devices that offers users access to thousands of movies and TV episodes.
News categories: Roku, Rob Holmes, Digital TV, Mexico, Streaming
Sony Honda Mobility established
Oct 13, 2022 – Sony Honda Mobility has announced its establishment as a company, following on from a memorandum of understanding signed on March 4, 2022 between Sony Group and Honda Motor for a strategic alliance in the mobility field.
News categories: Sony Honda Mobility, Yasuhide Mizuno, Izumi Kawanishi, Digital TV, In-Car, Metaverse, Worldwide
Competition Commission of India approves Zee-SonyLIV merger, with conditions
Oct 4, 2022 – The Competition Commission of India has approved the amalgamation of Zee Entertainment and Bangla Entertainment with Culver Max Entertainment (provider of the SonyLIV service), with conditions.
News categories: Competition Commission of Indi, Zee Entertainment, SonyLIV, Digital TV, India, MandA, Streaming
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December