Digital TV News: Strategy Analytics
Highest ever Samsung Smart TV sales in 3Q 2020
Dec 1, 2020 – Samsung sold 11.8 million smart TVs worldwide in Q3 2020. The global market for connected TV devices as a whole (including smart TVs, media streamers and games consoles) reached 81.3 million units in Q3, up 19% year-on-year.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Watkins, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
Nov 24, 2020 – Smart speaker users are switching increasingly to display-based devices, or Smart Displays, according to Strategy Analytics. The share of all smart speaker sales incorporating a display was 26% in Q3 2020, compared to 22% a year earlier.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Google's share of global digital media revenues declined in Q2
Oct 29, 2020 – According to Strategy Analytics, while it's still the world's largest digital media company by some distance, Google’s digital media revenues fell by 7.0% in Q2 2020 to $38.3B, causing its market share to fall from 29.0% in Q1 2020 to 26.3% in Q2.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
COVID-19 boosts mobile content spend 28% in 2020
Oct 6, 2020 – COVID-19 will boost worldwide revenue on content consumed on mobile phones by 28% in 2020 according to Strategy Analytics. Over the next five years mobile media revenue is expected to approach $860 billion.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Kerr, Nitesh Patel, Content Distribution, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Sony and Xbox games strategies diverge as Cloud streaming shapes future
Oct 5, 2020 – According to Strategy Analytics, Sony remains focused on improving the gaming experience on the large screen, while Microsoft is more concerned with making games available across as many devices as possible.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Watkins, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Worldwide
Global TV streaming device population reaches 1.1 billion
Sep 2, 2020 – The global population of TV and video streaming devices has now exceeded 1.1 billion, according to Strategy Analytics. The research finds that Samsung is the leading brand, followed by Sony, LG, Hisense, TCL and Amazon.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Netflix, Hulu user numbers fell as COVID-19 measures were relaxed
Jun 25, 2020 – The surge in users of subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services during the stay-at-home period was not always sustained once people were allowed to move around more freely, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Mercer, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
8.2% growth in Smart Speaker sales in Q1 2020 despite COVID-19
May 14, 2020 – Global sales of smart speakers in Q1 2020 reached 28.2 million units, an increase of 8.2% on Q1 2019, according to Strategy Analytics. Amazon remained the leading brand with a share of 23.5%, up from 21.5% in the same period a year ago.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
Mar 25, 2020 – Strategy Analytics has published a forecast for SVOD services taking into account the expected impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The forecast expects global subscriptions to increase by 5% in comparison to the pre-pandemic model.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
- Smart speaker shipments exceeded 33 million in 2Q 2022
- iWedia to deliver Live TV app for Google TV and Android TV devices
- 35 million US internet households interested in cloud gaming subscription
- Japan SVOD revenue to grow at 10.1% CAGR during 2022-2027
- DAZN acquires Eleven Sports and Team Whistle
- Cignal TV enhances Cignal Play app with Quickplay
- UK entertainment and media companies hold their nerve despite economic headwinds
- TV5MONDE adds TV5MONDE Pacifique HD to its bouquet on AsiaSat 5
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Roanoke-Lynchburg
- TripleLift and Zype to bring in-show programmatic ads to CTV
- OpenAP announces interoperability with FreeWheel, Magnite and Xandr
- Sky Stream IP-only STB to launch in the UK on October 18th
- MultiChoice launches DStv Streama STB in South Africa
- Skytel expands video services in Mongolia with Mirada
- Report from the CTA explores gaming's post-pandemic popularity
- Spectrum TV app available on XClass TVs
- Global pay TV subscribers to remain at around one billion
- Realtek and Irdeto develop RDK and Android TV hybrid STB
- Streaming dominates UK television landscape
- Sky NZ reveals IP-only solution for VodafoneTV customers