Digital TV News: The Walt Disney Company
Disney+ subscribers up 11.8 million in 4Q 2021
Feb 9, 2022 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported earnings for its quarter ended January 1, 2022. The company increased its total streaming subscriptions to 196.4 million, with 11.8 million Disney+ subscribers added in the quarter.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ adds 2.1 million subscribers in quarter to October 2
Nov 10, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for the period ended October 2, 2021. Disney ended the quarter with with 179 million total subscriptions across its DTC portfolio.
News categories: Walt Disney, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
Oct 19, 2021 – Disney+ and VIDAA have announced that Disney+ will be coming soon to VIDAA Smart OS-powered Hisense and Toshiba smart TVs with the latest firmware version. VIDAA Smart OS is a Linux-based open smart TV operating system.
News categories: VIDAA, Disney+, Hisense, Guy Edri, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
Disney+ comes to Panasonic TVs
Sep 17, 2021 – Panasonic has confirmed that Disney+ is now available on 4K Panasonic TVs, released from 2017 onwards, that feature its My Home Screen OS. On compatible TVs the Disney+ app icon will become visible in the Application view.
News categories: Panasonic, Disney+, Apps, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, New Zealand, Singapore, Smart TV, Streaming
116 million paid subscribers for Disney+ on July 3
Aug 12, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended July 3, 2021. Disney ended the quarter with a total of nearly 174 million subscriptions across its Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu direct-to-consumer services.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
47% of US broadband households subscribe to Prime Video
Jun 2, 2021 – Parks Associates research shows that 47% of US broadband households currently subscribe to Amazon Prime Video. The content rights deal between Amazon and the NFL will help increase the service’s uptake.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Disney+ ends 1Q 2021 with 103.6 million subscribers
May 13, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended April 3, 2021. Average monthly revenue per paid subscriber for Disney+ decreased YoY from $5.63 to $3.99 due to the launch of Disney+ Hotstar.
News categories: Walt Disney, Digital TV, India, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ global expansion built on AWS infrastructure
Apr 29, 2021 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has unveiled that The Walt Disney Company is using AWS for the global rollout of Disney+. Using AWS infrastructure, Disney+ has been able to rapidly expand to 59 countries across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, The Walt Disney Company, Carla Stratfold, Joe Inzerillo, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Comcast launches Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Mar 29, 2021 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced the start of the rollout of Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity. Disney+ and ESPN+ join a growing collection of streaming services available over the Internet on X1 and Flex.
News categories: Comcast, The Walt Disney Company, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
- Irdeto enhances software DRM to prevent content key extraction
- T-Mobile NL partners with Witbe to guarantee IPTV service quality
- Global semiconductor sales grew 3.2% in 2022 despite H2 slowdown
- Veset acquired by PLAY Japan
- Hisense no. 1 in TV shipments in December 2022
- LG adds Apple integrations to webOS Hub smart TV platform
- Market turbulence set to define media industry in 2023
- Huawei brings stc tv streaming to its users in the MENA region
- Sky rolls out Entertainment OS 1.1 update
- Comedy most pirated genre of entertainment
- Viaccess-Orca and Broadpeak achieve 3-second latency for live sports streaming
- Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
- Ateme reduces latency to under four seconds for Cyta's OTT channels
- Digiturk deploys Irdeto 360 Video Security Services
- ThinkAnalytics unveils new customer wins
- Netgem to initiate sale of activities other than TV streaming
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023