Digital TV News: The Walt Disney Company
Disney renews PlayStation Vue distribution agreement
Sep 27, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has agreed the continued deliver of its lineup of sports, news and entertainment content to PlayStation Vue customers. The agreement includes the newly acquired FX and National Geographic networks as well as ESPN's newly launched ACC Network.
News categories: Walt Disney, PlayStation, Sean Breen, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, USA
New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
Aug 19, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment has confirmed that Disney+ will launch in Canada and the Netherlands, in tandem with the U.S., on November 12 and in Australia and New Zealand on November 19.
News categories: Disney+, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, New Zealand, OTT, USA
Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
Aug 14, 2019 – Charter Communications (NASDAQ: CHTR) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) have agreed terms for the continued deliver of Disney content to Spectrum customers. The deal also covers Charter’s future distribution of Disney’s streaming services, including Hulu, ESPN+ and the upcoming Disney+.
News categories: Disney, Charter Communications, Sean Breen, Tom Montemagno, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Disney and Comcast agree on Hulu's future governance and ownership
May 14, 2019 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that Disney will assume full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately, in return for Disney and Comcast entering into a 'put/call' agreement regarding NBCUniversal’s 33% ownership interest in Hulu.
News categories: Comcast, Disney, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA
Disney+ set to launch in U.S. on November 12
Apr 11, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has presented an extensive overview of its comprehensive direct-to-consumer strategy, including presentations on Hulu, Hotstar, ESPN+, and the upcoming Disney+ service at its Investor Day, which took place on the Company’s studio lot.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
New services to add $3.6bn to the US D2C video market by 2023
Feb 21, 2019 – New direct-to-consumer online video subscription services have the potential to add 53 million paying subscriptions to the U.S. market by 2023, effectively growing the total number of subscribers by 25%, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Dan Cryan, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
45% of Thai consumers use pirated TV boxes
Nov 14, 2018 – In a recent study, commissioned by the Asia Video Industry Association's Coalition Against Piracy, into the content viewing behaviour of Thai consumers, it was revealed that 45% of consumers use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content.
News categories: Asia Video Industry Association, True Visions, Neil Gane, Sompan Charumilinda, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Thailand
ESPN+ hits one million paid subscribers in just over five months
Sep 20, 2018 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment has announced that ESPN+, the multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from DTCI in collaboration with ESPN, has surpassed one million paying subscribers in just over five months since its April 2018 launch.
News categories: ESPN, Walt Disney, Jimmy Pitaro, Kevin Mayer, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, USA
21st Century Fox invests $100m in social broadcasting platform Caffeine
Sep 5, 2018 – 21st Century Fox (21CF) and Caffeine have announced that 21CF has led a round of funding for social broadcasting platform, Caffeine. 21CF has invested a combined $100 million in Caffeine and a newly formed venture called Caffeine Studios.
News categories: 21st Century Fox, Caffeine, Lachlan Murdoch, Ben Keighran, Digital TV, OTT, Social TV, Venture Capital, Worldwide
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem
- Mobile operators to generate 170 million SVOD subscribers