Digital TV News: The Walt Disney Company
Disney surpasses 137 million subscriptions for its D2C services
Dec 11, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company has revealed the next steps in its global streaming expansion with details on the future of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, a first look at its upcoming global brand, Star, and previews of new content.
News categories: Disney, Bob Chapek, Bob Iger, Christine McCarthy, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Comcast to launch Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Dec 10, 2020 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced that they have reached an agreement that includes the rights for Comcast to distribute the Disney+ and ESPN+ services on its Xfinity X1 and Flex platforms.
News categories: Comcast, Disney, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA
Parks Associates reveals top 10 U.S. SVOD services for 3Q 2020
Nov 18, 2020 – Parks Associates has released its updated list of the top 10 US subscription over-the-top (OTT) video services, based on estimated number of subscribers through September 2020 from the firm’s OTT Video Market Tracker.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Disney+ launches in eight more European countries
Sep 15, 2020 – Disney+, the streaming service from The Walt Disney Company, has launched in Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Belgium and Luxembourg. Disney+ already has more than 60.5 million subscribers.
News categories: Disney+, Rebecca Campbell, Belgium, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Streaming, Sweden
Disney+ to launch in eight more European countries
Jun 23, 2020 – Disney has set 15th September as the launch date for Disney+ in eight markets (Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Belgium and Luxembourg) across Western and Northern Europe.
News categories: Disney, Apps, Belgium, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Portugal, Streaming, Sweden
Disney+ rolls out in Europe
Mar 24, 2020 – Disney+ has launched in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland. The service will launch in France on April 7th. Audiences can stream Disney+ on nearly all major mobile and connected TV devices.
News categories: Disney+, Kevin Mayer, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Gaming, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Spain, Streaming, Switzerland, Tablet, UK
Disney+ on UK Samsung Smart TVs from 24th March
Mar 19, 2020 – Samsung Electronics UK has confirmed that from March 24th Disney+ will be offered on its Smart TVs released from 2016 onwards, either available for download from the app store or directly preinstalled on select models.
News categories: Samsung, Disney+, Guy Kinnell, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, UK
Movistar to be launch partner for Disney+ in Spain
Mar 8, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company Iberia and Telefónica have announced that Movistar will be the strategic distributor for Disney+ launch in Spain. Adding Disney's new streaming service builds upon a long-standing relationship between the companies.
News categories: Telefónica, Disney, Emilio Gayo, Jan Koeppen, Digital TV, Spain, Streaming
Disney+ amasses nearly 29 million paid subscribers since launch
Feb 4, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company has announced that Disney+ had amassed 28.6 million paid subscribers, as of Monday, February 3. The service launched on November 12, 2019. Paid subscriber numbers for ESPN+ and Hulu were 7.6 million and 30.7 million, respectively.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes
- ADTH introduces ultra-compact USB ATSC 3.0 receiver
- ATSC 3.0-in-a-box from ENENSYS and Ateme powers WCRN Boston NEXTGEN TV
- Sinclair partners with Korean broadcasters to further NextGen broadcasting
- Linear TV viewing down as online long form viewing time continues to grow
- Auton and Anywave launch ATSC 3.0 broadcast internet test lab in Oregon
- OAN expands CTV reach with NetRange
- Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital to build fibre network in the UK
- Kaltura confirms receipt of unsolicited proposal from Panopto
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 521,000 in 2Q 2022
- Freeview Play adds new content discovery tools