Digital TV News: UPC
Geniatech and BitRouter announce turnkey ATSC 3.0 tuner solution
Jan 5, 2023 – Geniatech and BitRouter have announced TennaTV, a turnkey ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0 tuner solution using technology from both companies. The solution includes hardware, software and back-end support for deployment of ATSC tuner devices.
News categories: BitRouter, BitRouter, Gopal Miglani, Jijun Fang, ATSC 3, CES2023, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Astro Ulti Box gains four more streaming apps
Dec 21, 2022 – Astro has added the iQIYI, TVBAnywhere+, beIN SPORTS CONNECT and BBC Player apps to its Ulti Box so customers can stream more sporting events, Asian entertainment, British programs, local favourites and anime on their TV.
News categories: Astro, Apps, Digital TV, Malaysia, Set Top Box
VR device shipments to bounce back in 2023
Nov 29, 2022 – TrendForce estimates that global shipments of VR devices will come to around 8.58 million units for 2022, a YoY drop of 5.3%. For 2023, TrendForce expects a bounce back to a total of 10.35 million.
News categories: TrendForce, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
MultiChoice pay-TV subscribers up 1.0m YoY at end-September
Nov 10, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced results for the period ended 30 September 2022. The group’s linear pay-TV subscriber base increased by 1.0m to reach 22.1m households, consisting of 9.1m in South Africa and 13.0m in the Rest of Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, Calvo Mawela, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
Viaplay app to be pre-installed on Hisense Smart TVs
Nov 8, 2022 – Viaplay Group and Hisense's VIDAA have agreed that the Viaplay app will be pre-installed on all Hisense Smart TVs sold in Viaplay’s current D2C markets, and in North America where Viaplay will launch in early 2023.
News categories: Viaplay, VIDAA, Philip Wågnert, Nick Ruczaj, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, North America, Smart TV, Streaming
ITVX streaming service to launch in the UK on 8th December
Nov 8, 2022 – ITV has announced the launch date of its free streaming platform ITVX. Replacing ITV Hub as the online home of all ITV content, viewers can expect a new and improved product experience.
News categories: ITV, Carolyn McCall, Digital TV, Streaming, UK
EXTREME International monetizes content with Castify.ai
Nov 7, 2022 – Castify.ai has announced a partnership with EXTREME International that allows EXTREME International to use Castify.ai's data-driven distribution abilities to monetize their content.
News categories: Castify.ai, EXTREME International, Gal Turjeman, Alistair Gosling, Advertising, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, USA, Worldwide
Liberty Global reports Q3 2022 results
Nov 1, 2022 – Liberty Global has announced Q3 2022 results. In Q3, the company delivered aggregate broadband and postpaid mobile growth of 186,000 new subscribers, supported mostly by broadband subscriber gains in the U.K. and positive postpaid trends across all its core FMC markets.
News categories: Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Results, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland, UK
Paramount+ adds more European countries
Oct 18, 2022 – Paramount+ will arrive in France on December 1, followed by Germany, Austria and Switzerland on December 8. Paramount+ will also launch on Sky platforms in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
News categories: Paramount, Marco Nobili, Austria, Digital TV, France, Germany, Switzerland
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December