Digital TV News: ZDF
Zain launches iflix service across Middle East and Africa
May 22, 2017 – Zain Group and iflix have announced the launch of iflix’s service across several of Zain’s markets. This follows the announcement earlier in the year whereby Zain and iflix formed a joint venture entity, ‘iflix Arabia’.
News categories: Zain, iflix, Scott Gegenheimer, Mark Britt, Apps, Bahrain, Digital TV, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Streaming, Sudan
Zain and iflix establish 'iflix Arabia' joint venture
Feb 15, 2017 – Zain and iflix have announced the establishment of a joint venture, ‘iflix Arabia’, to bring iflix’ service to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). iflix Arabia, will be headquartered in Dubai and trade commercially as 'iflix'.
News categories: iflix, Zain, Mark Britt, John-Paul McKerlie, Bader Al Kharafi, Scott Gegenheimer, Digital TV, Middle-East, Streaming
Swisscom TV 2.0 brings HbbTV to SRG SSR channels
Apr 14, 2015 – Swisscom has announced that it has activated the multimedia successor to teletext. HbbTV will be available with HD programmes shown on SRG, allowing viewers to access interactive content through their internet connection.
News categories: Swisscom, Marc Werner, Digital TV, HbbTV, IPTV, Switzerland
High-power LTE-A+ Broadcast trials start in Aosta and Paris
Apr 8, 2015 – TDF and Rai have launched the first field trials of LTE-A+ Broadcast from high-power television stations, in Paris and Aosta. The joint project involves contributions by GatesAir (USA) and is supported by IRT (Germany) and Expway (France).
News categories: GatesAir, TDF, Rai, IRT, Expway, Joseph Seccia, Olivier Huart, Vincent Grivet, Alberto Morello, Klaus Illgner-Fehns, Thierry Sergent, Ulrich Reimers, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, France, Italy, Mobile
Tele2 bundles SimpliTV DTT with broadband in Austria
Nov 3, 2014 – Austria's Tele2 has announced that it is bundling the SimpliTV pay DTT service with its broadband and telephony offerings. Subscribers can receive up to 40 channels, including 9 in HD, via a DTT set-top box.
News categories: Tele2, SimpliTV, Austria, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
WDR to begin DVB-T2/HEVC trials in Cologne-Bonn
Oct 14, 2014 – German public broadcaster WDR has announced that, with Media Broadcast, it is planning to begin test broadcasting in DVB-T2 with HEVC video coding in the Cologne-Bonn area.
News categories: MEDIA BROADCAST GmbH, WDR, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Terrestrial
DVB-T2 pilot project launched in Berlin
Oct 6, 2014 – MEDIA BROADCAST has launched a pilot project in Berlin to test the new DVB-T2 standard. All leading TV broadcasters, relevant industry associations and many companies in the CE industry are involved as project partners.
News categories: MEDIA BROADCAST GmbH, Ulf Heggenberger, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Semiconductor, Terrestrial
HbbTV already supported by 93% of European connected TVs
May 20, 2014 – According to the EBU, 93% of the connected televisions for sale in Europe support HbbTV and HbbTV services are being deployed by broadcasters throughout Europe.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Europe, HbbTV, Market Research, Smart TV
Magine TV announces full launch in Germany
Apr 25, 2014 – Magine TV, the cloud-based TV service, has closed its beta platform and launched commercially in Germany. With over 60 national and international channels available Magine TV offers an online alternative to traditional free-to-air television.
News categories: Magine TV, Kamal Bherwani, Mattias Hjelmstedt, Digital TV, Germany, Mobile, Streaming
- Sky rolls out Entertainment OS 1.1 update
- Comedy most pirated genre of entertainment
- Viaccess-Orca and Broadpeak achieve 3-second latency for live sports streaming
- Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
- Ateme reduces latency to under four seconds for Cyta's OTT channels
- Digiturk deploys Irdeto 360 Video Security Services
- ThinkAnalytics unveils new customer wins
- Netgem to initiate sale of activities other than TV streaming
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023
- BARB launches API giving clients direct access to viewing data
- Roku makes deal with Warner Bros. Discovery for The Roku Channel
- Trinidad and Tobago selects ATSC 3.0 for DTT
- Faurecia-Aptoide and Catappult launch app distribution hub for cars
- 24i supports launch of Philips Hue Sync TV App
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion