Digital TV News: YouView
UK's YouView heads towards 400,000 homes
May 30, 2013 – YouView has announced that it is on its way to reaching 400,000 homes across the UK, 8 months after launch. The subscription-free service also released on demand viewing statistics showing over 2.2 million video on demand (VOD) plays per week.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Intertrust announces ExpressPlay™ cloud-based content protection
May 22, 2013 – Intertrust has announced 'ExpressPlay™', a content protection solution-as-a-service that is simple and cost-effective to implement by any service provider yet strong enough to protect high-value entertainment and media content including video, audio, ebooks and games.
News categories: Intertrust, Content Protection, OTT
TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
May 16, 2013 – TalkTalk signed up 150,000 new subscribers to its YouView service in the first three months of this year – making TalkTalk TV the UK’s fastest-growing new TV service.
News categories: TalkTalk, Digital TV, IPTV, Results, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
Fewer problems than forecast with TV reception during UK 4G test
Apr 4, 2013 – at800 has completed its first live test to help assess the extent to which Freeview could be impacted when 4G mobile services at 800MHz are launched. Fifteen households in the test area reported problems with TV reception rather than the 120 predicted.
News categories: at800, Digital TV, LTE, Terrestrial, UK
thePlatform selected by BT as Central Video Logistics System for TV
Mar 14, 2013 – thePlatform has disclosed that its cloud-based video publishing system, mpx, is serving as the central logistics system for BT’s newest IP-based TV services in the UK, including BT Vision and YouView from BT.
News categories: thePlatform, BT plc, Infrastructure, IPTV, OTT, UK
60,000 BT Vision customers with YouView set-top boxes
Feb 1, 2013 – BT Group (BT.L) has announced its results for the third quarter and nine months to 31 December 2012. BT added 21,000 BT Vision customers in the quarter to give a total of 770,000 subscribers. It has over 60,000 customers with a YouView box.
News categories: BT Vision, IPTV, Results, Set Top Box, Subscribers, UK
JT launches YouView in the Channel Islands
Nov 23, 2012 – YouView, the subscription-free TV service which combines catch-up and on demand TV, has been launched exclusively in the Channel Islands by JT.
News categories: Jersey Telecom, Channel Islands, OTT, Set Top Box
OTT and Operator-Owned Multiscreen Service Penetration in UK to Exceed 75% and 52% Respectively by 2017
Nov 19, 2012 – According to ABI Research, the UK leads Europe in the adoption of both standalone OTT and operator-owned multiscreen services. Many UK consumers fit the multi-device profile, with more than 10% of the population already boasting an average of four connected devices.
News categories: ABI Research, Market Research, OTT, TV Everywhere, UK
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013