Digital TV Business, Technology and Market Research News
The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
Jun 19, 2013 – Global pay TV revenues will climb to $203 billion in 2018, up by $19 billion on 2012. According to the Digital TV World Revenue Forecasts report the fast growth years for the sector are over, with annual growth hovering at below 2% from 2015.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial
Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
Jun 18, 2013 – Verimatrix has announced that NTT Plala, a major Japanese Internet service provider, will deploy the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) to secure Hikari-TV for smartphones. Hikari-TV is the largest Internet TV service available in Japan.
News categories: Verimatrix, NTT Plala, CommunicAsia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile, OTT, Smartphone
Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
Jun 13, 2013 – Belgium's Telenet has announced the launch of 'TV with a card'. By placing a CI+ module with a smartcard in the TV set, a customer can watch television in digital picture and sound quality, without the need of a decoder or additional cables.
News categories: Telenet, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Smart card / CAM, Smart TV
Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
Jun 13, 2013 – Polish cable TV operator Vectra has announced the availability of the new HD set-top box produced by Motorola. Up until now, Vectra's HD boxes have been supplied by Advanced Digital Broadcast (ADB).
News categories: Vectra, Motorola, Cable TV, Digital TV, Poland, Set Top Box
One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
Jun 12, 2013 – Global pay TV households will reach nearly 1 billion by 2018, up from 772 million in 2012 and 814 million in 2013, according to the Digital TV World Household Forecasts report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
Jun 11, 2013 – Brazil has announced that it has updated its plan for analogue television shut down. The schedule will now begin in March 2015 and end in 2018. The original plan was that the shutdown of the analogue service and the migration to fully digital would occur in 2016.
News categories: Ministério das Comunicações, Brazil, Digital TV, SBTVD, Terrestrial
Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
Jun 11, 2013 – Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) has unveiled the next generation of its cloud-enabled X1 Platform from Xfinity. The new platform release, known as X2, will be available to customers later this year.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, The Cable Show, USA
Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
Jun 11, 2013 – Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) has announced the launch of the TWC TV™ application, starting this summer, on compatible Samsung Smart TV™s, furthering the company’s commitment to developing ways to help consumers enjoy the programming they love anytime, anywhere.
News categories: Time Warner Cable, Samsung, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, USA
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013