Broadband (xDSL, DOCSIS, WiMax, FTTH, …) News
Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
Jun 12, 2013 – Infonetics has released excerpts from its 1Q13 Broadband CPE and Subscribers report. Owing to the continued strong growth of FTTH and cable CPE, the broadband CPE market hit $2.2 billion in 1Q13, an increase of 6% sequentially and 17% from the year-ago quarter.
News categories: Infonetics, Broadband, Cable Modem, CPE, Gateway, Market Research, Router
Broadcom introduces hybrid headless video gateway SoC
Jun 11, 2013 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced a new single chip solution for cable headless gateways that delivers the fastest Data over Cable Interface Standard (DOCSIS) data rates, whole-home connectivity and an all-IP video experience.
News categories: Broadcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, DOCSIS, Gateway, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, The Cable Show
Broadcom announces 1.6 gigabit hybrid video cable gateway SoC
Jun 5, 2013 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced a hybrid cable gateway set-top box SoC. The platform is the first STB offering to combine DOCSIS 3.0 and Gigabit wireless gateway functionality with HEVC video decoders and a quad video transcoder onto a single piece of silicon.
News categories: Broadcom, ANGA COM, Cable TV, Digital TV, DOCSIS, Gateway, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
UK's Hyperoptic secures £50 million investment
May 23, 2013 – Hyperoptic has announced that it has received an investment commitment of £50 million led by Quantum Strategic Partners. The funding will enable Hyperoptic to reach more than 500,000 UK homes with its 1Gbps fibre broadband, as well as to develop new products such as IPTV.
News categories: Hyperoptic, Fibre, IPTV, UK, Venture Capital
Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
May 16, 2013 – Vodafone Germany has announced a next-generation network access agreement with Deutsche Telekom (DT) which will allow Vodafone to offer high-speed fixed-line broadband and internet protocol-based TV (IPTV) services across Germany.
News categories: Vodafone, Deutsche Telekom, Digital TV, Germany, Infrastructure, IPTV, VDSL
StarHub Launches StarHub TV on Fibre
Mar 14, 2013 – The IPTV service, StarHub TV on Fibre, offers access to HD content and over three times as many TV channels as the existing digital terrestrial platform. The service will initially be available only to commercial customers such as offices, restaurants and pubs.
News categories: StarHub, Fibre, IPTV, Singapore
Fiber Drives Global Broadband Access Forward
Feb 20, 2013 – Figures from Point Topic, published by the Broadband Forum, reveal that of the 54 million new broadband subscribers added in the year to 3Q 2012, 48% are being served with fiber. Fiber deployments have now passed cable to account for 19.7% of the total broadband market.
News categories: Broadband Forum, Point Topic, Broadband, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
STMicroelectronics launches first 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem ICs
Jan 4, 2013 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) has revealed the first three chips in its new DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem IC family. These are believed to be the world's first DOCSIS 3.0 devices providing up to 16 downlink channels, with four uplink channels.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, Cable Modem, Cable TV, DOCSIS, ICs, Semiconductor
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013
- TiVo rolling out to Mediacom customers
- Broadcom introduces hybrid headless video gateway SoC
- Orange Romania launches TV service with GlobeCast on ASTRA