Japan Digital TV News
Elemental to power Japan’s first 4K/HEVC real-time streaming trial
Oct 23, 2013 – Elemental Technologies has announced that K-Opticom, a telecommunications operator in Japan, will use Elemental video processing for the country’s first live 4K Ultra HD high-efficiency video coding (H.265/HEVC) transmission.
News categories: Elemental Technologies, K-Opticom, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Media Player, OTT
INSIDE Secure protects content in Pixela Android set-top box for J:COM
Sep 17, 2013 – INSIDE Secure has announced that its downloadable DRM Fusion Agent™ software is being used by Pixela to meet content protection requirements for the new Android™-based set-top box (STB) developed for J:COM, Japan's largest cable TV provider.
News categories: INSIDE Secure, Pixela, Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Digital TV, DRM, Japan, OTT, Set Top Box
Entropic SoC powers J:COM IP-VOD set-top box
Sep 13, 2013 – PIXELA and Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR) have announced that J:COM has unveiled its first IP-based Video-on-Demand (VOD) set-top box (STB) using an Entropic-powered PIXELA solution. The new device will be demonstrated this week at IBC.
News categories: Entropic, PIXELA, J:COM, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBCShow, Japan, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
J:COM announces June 2013 subscriber figures
Jul 19, 2013 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM, JASDAQ: 4817), the largest MSO in Japan, has announced that the total subscribing households as of June 30, 2013 served by J:COM's subsidiaries reached 3.78 million, up 94,100 or 2.6% from June 30, 2012.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Japan, Subscribers
Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
Jun 18, 2013 – Verimatrix has announced that NTT Plala, a major Japanese Internet service provider, will deploy the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) to secure Hikari-TV for smartphones. Hikari-TV is the largest Internet TV service available in Japan.
News categories: Verimatrix, NTT Plala, CommunicAsia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT, Smartphone
NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision
May 9, 2013 – NHK and Mitsubishi have jointly developed the world's first HEVC encoder for 8K ultra HDTV 'Super Hi-Vision' (SHV). The HEVC encoder will be displayed at the NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories Open House 2013, which will take place from May 30th to June 2nd.
News categories: Mitsubishi, NHK, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan
Jupiter Telecommunications releases 1Q 2013 results
Apr 24, 2013 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM, JASDAQ: 4817) has released results for the 1st Quarter of 2013. The company had 3,102,900 cable TV RGUs at the end of the period, up 1.1% compared with the same period in 2012.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Japan, Results, Subscribers
STMicroelectronics powers Smart IPTV Set-Top Boxes from NTT Plala
Apr 22, 2013 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) has revealed that its Orly system-on-chip (SoC) is powering a new generation of advanced set-top boxes announced from NTT Plala, an Internet / IPTV service provider in Japan. The STB was developed by Sumitomo Electric Networks.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, NTT Plala, Sumitomo, Digital TV, IPTV, Japan, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
- ALi partners with LG and Shenzhen Jiuzhou on ATSC STB for Mexico
- Over 200 million connected TVs and attached content devices expected in U.S. homes by 2015
- Ecuador adds 108,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- ViXS begins shipments of industry's first SoC to support Ultra HD 4K and 10-bit HEVC
- France Télévisions develops FranceTV Pluzz multiscreen offer with Anevia
- Spain's rate of pay TV subscriber loss slows to 31,000 in 3Q 2013
- Peregrine ships RF switch for TVs, Set-Top Boxes and DVRs
- Alticast to premiere HDMI stick set-top box at CES2014
- Egatel provides transmitters for Chile's first DTT transmissions
- FiOS TV app now available on Xbox One
- Clearleap and Accedo partner to provide seamless and scalable multiscreen solutions
- 3.2 million pay TV subscribers in Ukraine's 33 largest cities
- Canal Digital Kabel launches on demand services powered by Espial
- Mediaset launches Infinity OTT on Tivùon! platform with Intertrust DRM
- Channel Master introduces DVR+ hybrid PVR for US DTT
- Hrvatski Telekom deploys SmarDTV SmarCAM-3.5 CI Plus modules
- Siano launches advanced receiver chip for DVB-T2
- Connected TV device ownership to double by 2017
- Silicon Image introduces MHL 3.0 4K Ultra HD solution for mobile devices
- ALi secure STB chipset receives NOCS certification from NAGRA