Canada Digital TV News
North America to continue to add pay TV subs
May 1, 2013 — Despite all of the talk about cord-cutting, a new report from Digital TV Research states that the number of pay TV subscribers in North America will continue to increase – albeit at a slow rate. However, the report states that pay TV penetration will remain flat.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, North America, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, USA
CRTC releases 2012 financial results for Canada's cable and satellite companies
Apr 9, 2013 — The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has released statistical and financial information on Canadian broadcasting distribution companies for the broadcast year ended August 31, 2012.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Cogeco Cable Launches Rovi Applications for Remote Access to TV Services
Apr 2, 2013 — COGECO Cable (TSX:CCA) and Rovi (NASDAQ:ROVI) have announced the launch of two interactive applications, Cogeco Remote Recorder powered by Rovi TV Listings and TotalGuide xD, that will provide Cogeco's subscribers with access to the TV schedules on their set-top PVR from web-enabled devices.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Cogeco, Apps, Cable TV, Canada, Personal Video Recorder
Canada's Eastlink unveils new 'Ultra Whole Home DVR'
Feb 28, 2013 — Canadian cable company, Eastlink, has unveiled its new video entertainment service - called Ultra Whole Home DVR - for customers seeking the most advanced video entertainment experience in one, easy-to-use platform.
News categories: Eastlink, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, Home Networking, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box
Videotron's illico TV passes half million subscriber mark
Feb 21, 2013 — Videotron (Toronto: QBR.A; QBR.B) has announced that it has reached a new milestone, passing the half-million customer mark for its illico TV service. Less than one year after the launch of the new platform, 500,000 Videotron customers are enjoying its speed, simplicity and HD content.
News categories: Videotron, Cable TV, Canada, Subscribers
TELUS TV subscribers up 33% to 678,000 in 2012
Feb 15, 2013 — TELUS has reported fourth quarter 2012 results. TV additions in the quarter - both IP-based Optik TV and satellite TELUS TV - were 41,000. The total TV subscriber base of 678,000 was up 33 per cent or 169,000 from a year ago.
News categories: TELUS, Canada, IPTV, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
Rogers digital cable subscribers down 7,000 during 2012
Feb 15, 2013 — Rogers Communications has announced results for the three months ended December 31, 2012. Cable TV subscribers fell by 83,000 in 2012 with digital cable TV subscribers only falling by 7,000 owing to an increase in digital penetration from 77% to 80% during the year.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Cable TV, Canada, Results, Subscribers, TV Everywhere
Bell TV Canada subscriber base up 2.5% in 2012
Feb 7, 2013 — BCE (TSX, NYSE: BCE) has reported BCE and Bell results for the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2012. Bell Fibe TV added 48,234 net new customers. Satellite TV net additions were negative. The Bell TV subscriber base totalled 2,155,983 at the end of Q4.
News categories: BCE Inc, Canada, IPTV, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results