Digital TV News: Ofcom
Ofcom releases UK Communications Market Report 2013
Aug 1, 2013 – Huge growth in take-up of smartphones and tablets is creating a nation of media multi-taskers, Ofcom research has revealed, transforming the traditional UK living room into a digital media hub. In addition, seven per cent of TV households had a Smart TV at the end of the Q1 2013.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, Terrestrial, UK
Ofcom publishes Q4 2012 UK Digital Television Update
Apr 18, 2013 – Ofcom, the communications regulator for the UK, has released its Digital Television Update for the fourth quarter of 2012. In Q4 2012, 98% of households (25.1m) received digital television over any platform, an increase of nearly 5 percentage points on Q4 2011.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
Fewer problems than forecast with TV reception during UK 4G test
Apr 4, 2013 – at800 has completed its first live test to help assess the extent to which Freeview could be impacted when 4G mobile services at 800MHz are launched. Fifteen households in the test area reported problems with TV reception rather than the 120 predicted.
News categories: at800, Digital TV, LTE, Terrestrial, UK
Ofcom releases International Communications Market Report
Dec 13, 2012 – UK consumers lead the world in using technology to enhance their viewing experience, Ofcom research reveals. The UK is ahead of other countries for catching up with TV online and is at the forefront of using technology such as smart TVs and DVRs.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
5% of UK households own an internet connected smart TV
Jul 18, 2012 – The UK communications regulator, Ofcom, has released its 2012 Communications Market report. The percentage of UK homes with digital TV increased by three percentage points; from 93% in Q1 2011 to 96.2% in Q1 2012, as more regions switched to digital.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Smart TV, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
UK outlines scheme to tackle TV interference from 4G services
Jul 10, 2012 – The UK government has set out terms for a £180 million scheme to help the 900,000 digital terrestrial television (DTT) homes that communications regulator Ofcom estimates will be affected when 4G is introduced in the country next year.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, LTE, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
UK TV viewing extends online
Dec 14, 2011 – Ofcom has released its sixth International Communications Market report into the global communications market. The UK's love of TV continues, with over a quarter (27 per cent) of UK internet users saying they watched TV online every week.
News categories: Ofcom, Australia, Brazil, Cable TV, Canada, China, Digital TV, France, Germany, India, IPTV, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Market Research, Multiscreen, Netherlands, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Poland, Russia, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Spain, Sweden, Terrestrial, UK, USA
YouView User Interface and Search Policy Consultation
Sep 26, 2011 – YouView, the proposed UK connected TV platform, has published its draft User Interface and Search Policy for consultation with industry, setting out how content will be presented to viewers in a way that makes it easy for them to discover.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
- Magyar Telekom Group acquires 9 smaller cable networks
- Sigma Designs reports third quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Xbox One sells more than 2 million units in the first 18 days
- Hollywood to deliver UltraViolet video with Dolby Digital Plus
- Canal+ begins advanced testing of Frog By Wyplay software
- eircom deploys SeaChange for its eVision TV service
- Bouygues Telecom deploys Broadpeak IPTV servers
- SK broadband IPTV subscribers pass the 2 million mark
- ViXS reports results for the third quarter of fiscal 2014
- Thailand's Samart uses Dolby Digital Plus in HD DVB-T2 set-top boxes
- Telekom Austria selects Harmonic for new DTH platform
- Rohde & Schwarz to equip Qatar with DVB-T2 technology
- Global mobile & tablet entertainment revenues to reach almost $75 billion by 2017
- NimbleTV cloud-based TV service launches in NYC
- UUX iTaaS platform powers Telenor MyTV multiscreen TV
- Australia switches off final analogue free-to-air TV signal
- CANAL+ launches myCANAL second screen service
- Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
- Telefonica losing Pay TV share in key Latin American markets
- Samsung licenses Reference Design Kit (RDK)