100 Million Hybrid STBs to Ship in 2015Tuesday, January 24th, 2012
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Hybrid set top boxes are a fast-growing segment of the worldwide set top box market. These boxes include a TV tuner and an Internet connection. It’s similar to hybrid vehicles that combine a gasoline engine with an electric motor. Hybrid STBs are appearing in all service categories and new usage models and applications have provided momentum. As television services begin employing applications that are Internet-connected, we see hybrid set top boxes emerging as a key growth driver for the global set top box industry. New In-Stat research forecasts that 100 million hybrid STBs will ship in 2015.
“As the STB industry continues its forward march, the next logical iteration is for the set top box to enhance and expand traditional TV-related services by permitting access to content from the Internet, or from Internet-like web services that provide a ‘walled garden’ of authorized content,” says Gerry Kaufhold, Research Director. “By combining traditional TV services with ‘enhancements’ that come in via broadband, content owners and service providers think they can successfully compete with all the emerging over-the-top approaches.”
Some of the research findings include:
- Over 23 million hybrid STBs will ship in North America in 2012
- The Asia Pacific annual revenue will approach $1.5 billion in 2015
- Satellite hybrid STBs will represent 58% of the hybrid STB market in 2013
Recent In-Stat research, Worldwide Hybrid Set Top Boxes (#IN1104957ME), provides definitions for low-end, mid-range, and high-end hybrid STBs, and presents trends for hybrid STBs in six geographic regions. Hybrid STBs are forecast by region for cable, IPTV, satellite, and digital terrestrial STBs. The worldwide summary includes trend lines by category and by region.
Five-year forecasts include:
- Key trends for each category of box, in each of the six regions, are presented and discussed
- Worldwide shipments of hybrid-capable STBs in four categories
- Detailed forecasts for hybrid cable TV, satellite TV, telcoTV (IPTV), and digital terrestrial TV set top boxes, by region.
- Forecasts by box type for six geographic regions: North America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa, Latin America, and Asia Pacific.
This research is part of In-Stat’s Global Pay-TV service which research provides comprehensive analysis and forecasts of the worldwide market for all types of pay-TV set top boxes, the operators that deploy them and their subscriber bases.