Terrestrial Digital TV (DTT, DTTV, DTV, DVB-T, DVB-T2, …) News
FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
May 23, 2019 – The Media Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that it will begin accepting Next Generation Television (ATSC 3.0) license applications in the commission’s licensing and management system on May 28, 2019.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Telcos to dominate Western European pay TV
May 23, 2019 – Reflecting the rising importance of the telcos, IPTV is gaining subscribers in Western Europe at the expense of the other pay TV platforms. IPTV overtook satellite TV in 2015 and will be approaching cable by 2024, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
May 21, 2019 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to LG Electronics, allowing LG to produce products based on the standard. The MPEG-H Audio system is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, LG Electronics, ATSC, Digital TV, Europe, Licensing, Patent, USA, Worldwide
WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
May 15, 2019 – WMYD (NASDAQ: SSP) plans to launch Next-Gen TV in Detroit in a collaborative effort that will also involve Graham Media and other local broadcasters. The launch provides an opportunity for the automotive industry to have an in-market test bed for the new platform.
News categories: Scripps, Graham Media, Pearl TV, Brian Lawlor, Emily L. Barr, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, In-Car, USA
Fibre becomes leading technology for pay TV distribution in Norway
May 13, 2019 – Fibre has become the leading technology for the distribution of pay TV in Norway according to the country's National Communications Authority (Nkom). At the end of 2018, there were over 2.2 million TV subscriptions in the country, 28,000 fewer than a year earlier.
News categories: Nkom, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Norway, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Chile postpones analogue TV switch off to 2024
May 3, 2019 – The government of Chile has announced a revised plan for the implementation of digital television over the next four years. Under the plan, the expectation is that 80% of Chileans will have a digital signal by 2022.
News categories: SUBTEL, Chile, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial
MPay, MYTV and Coship to develop HbbTV services on DTT in Malaysia
Apr 26, 2019 – ManagePay Systems (MPay) has partnered with MYTV Broadcasting (MYTV) to develop HbbTV services for Malaysia based on DTT set-top boxes (STBs) from Coship. MPay is to develop e-commerce and Fintech services for the MYTV platform, as well as delivering the STBs.
News categories: MPay, MYTV Broadcasting, Coship, Digital TV, HbbTV, Malaysia, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
KPN TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2019
Apr 26, 2019 – KPN has announce results for Q1 2019. In the quarter, KPN added 16,000 IPTV customers to its base offsetting a reduction of 15,000 in the number of digital terrestrial (Digitenne) and analogue subscribers that it has.
News categories: KPN, Digital TV, IPTV, Netherlands, Results, Subscribers, Terrestrial
One-third of U.S. TV content viewers report owning an antenna
Apr 24, 2019 – The latest data from Horowitz Research reveal that while TV content viewers in the U.S. are experimenting with new streaming services like YouTube TV, Sling TV, and others, a traditional viewing technology is re-emerging: antennas.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Stephanie Wong, Adriana Waterston, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Terrestrial, USA
- FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
- Sky Deutschland adds multiroom box to Sky Q offering
- Openview STB activations growing at 35,000 per month
- 2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
- Telcos to dominate Western European pay TV
- Roku introduces analytics and planning tools for OTT advertisers
- IHS Markit and Informa to exchange business units
- Evergent and Synamedia partner to power and monetize video experience
- TiVo integrates demographics, ad airings, and mobile devices into TV Viewership Data
- Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
- AminoTV deployed on multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway
- China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
- SpotX and Jukin Media partner for connected TV monetization
- OTT monitoring and compliance market to expand at a CAGR of 15.8%
- Sony’s first 8K TVs go on sale in early June
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Rakuten LIVE interactive streaming service launched
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- IoT now numbers 22 billion devices, but where is the revenue?