Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
U.S. tech revenue to hit $487 billion in 2021
Jul 20, 2021 – According to the CTA, subscription video streaming services will see continued growth in demand in 2021. TV shipments will reach 45 million units, with NEXTGEN TV shipments up nearly sixfold to 2.1 million units.
News categories: CTA, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, Smartphone, USA, VR
SKY Brasil deploys Technicolor Android TV STBs with Google Assistant far-field voice
Jul 15, 2021 – Technicolor and SKY Brasil have announced the deployment of SKY Connect, a set-top box (STB) that integrates Google Assistant far-field voice technology for entertainment content navigation on the TV.
News categories: Technicolor, SKY Brasil, Brian Jentz, Andre Ribeiro, Android TV, Brazil, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Alexa coming to third-party Smart TVs powered by LG webOS
Jul 14, 2021 – LG has announced that Amazon Alexa is coming to third-party TVs powered by its webOS platform. The feature will be activated OTA starting in Q3 in North America, followed by other regions including Europe and Asia.
News categories: LG Electronics, Jung Sung-hyun, Asia, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, North America, Smart Home, Smart TV
Technicolor STBs to get Google Assistant with far-field voice recognition
Jul 2, 2021 – Technicolor is integrating Google’s far-field voice technology into its latest generation of set-top boxes (STBs) which enables users to change channels, search for content and more -- hands-free with Google Assistant.
News categories: Technicolor, Google, Brian Jentz, Joshua Stults, Android TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
Telefónica showcases its digital home at MWC
Jun 28, 2021 – Telefónica will showcase its digital home proposal at MWC. At its heart is Movistar+ which becomes a gateway for new experiences through Living Apps, TV applications accessible from the main Movistar+ menu.
News categories: Telefónica, Movistar, Antonio Guzmán, Digital TV, MWC21, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain
Elliptic Labs to trial presence detection and gestures for Smart TV
Jun 11, 2021 – Elliptic Labs (Euronext Growth: ELABS.OL) has signed a PoC with a manufacturer for the implementation of presence detection and touchless gestures in Smart TVs using its AI Virtual Smart Sensor Platform.
News categories: Elliptic Labs, Laila Danielsen, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
VIZIO upgrades SmartCast TV platform with VIZIO Voice
Jun 4, 2021 – VIZIO (NYSE: VZIO) has shared details on an update to its SmartCast Smart TV platform. New models of SmartCast TVs will include a new push-to-talk Voice Remote with VIZIO Voice, helping to navigate apps and channels.
News categories: VIZIO, Chris Vinckier, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
ZEASN launches Smart Voice solutions
May 27, 2021 – ZEASN has unveiled its Whale Speaker OS and Whale AI Voice smart voice solutions. Whale Speaker OS is an operating system for smart speakers. Whale AI Voice provides Alexa skills for connected devices.
News categories: ZEASN, Raymond Chung, Colombia, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
Digital content revenue to exceed $432bn globally by 2026
May 24, 2021 – Juniper Research expects the market for digital content to reach $432 billion by 2026; rising from $211 billion in 2021. Digital games are expected to generate the highest revenue in 2026.
News categories: Juniper Research, Saidat Giwa-Osagie, Advertising, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, VR, Worldwide
- DELTA Fiber expands fiber network to 2 million addresses
- High-speed fibre overtakes DSL in OECD countries
- Liberty Global reports Q2 2021 results
- NAGRA video platform powers Claro Box TV in Colombia
- OTTera integrated into the IRIS.TV video data ecosystem
- Peacock coming to Sky later this year
- Redge Media compliant with IAB TCF 2.0
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 399,000 in 2Q 2021
- Playstation 5 surpasses 10 million units sold
- 52% of U.S. consumers stop paying attention when ads come on the TV
- Tata Sky Binge delivers streaming app aggregation with ThinkAnalytics
- USSI Global to bring DOOH analytics to NEXTGEN TV broadcasters
- Altice USA reports video net losses of 48,000 for 2Q 2021
- Total Play video RGUs up 48% YoY in Q2 2021 to 1,933,880
- Gap between OTT and traditional pay TV continues to widen in the U.S.
- OTT to pull down pay TV revenues in China
- German pay TV and paid video surpasses €4 billion in 2020
- SERAPHIC upgrades TV browser with HbbTV 2.0.3 support
- Magnite to manage ad placement for Brazil's NetMovies
- Acxiom and Totalplay to provide addressable audiences in Mexico