Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
Rakuten and Telefónica launch event booking app on Movistar+ TV
Sep 15, 2021 – Rakuten and Telefónica have launched the Rakuten Living App on Movistar+ TV in Spain. Movistar Fusion customers with a UHD Decoder can now access an experience that connects online entertainment with offline events.
News categories: Telefónica, Rakuten, Antonio Guzmán, Cédric Dufour, Apps, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain
U.S. tech revenue to hit $487 billion in 2021
Jul 15, 2021 – According to the CTA, subscription video streaming services will see continued growth in demand in 2021. TV shipments will reach 45 million units, with NEXTGEN TV shipments up nearly sixfold to 2.1 million units.
News categories: CTA, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, Smartphone, Streaming, USA, VR
SKY Brasil deploys Technicolor Android TV STBs with Google Assistant far-field voice
Jul 14, 2021 – Technicolor and SKY Brasil have announced the deployment of SKY Connect, a set-top box (STB) that integrates Google Assistant far-field voice technology for entertainment content navigation on the TV.
News categories: Technicolor, SKY Brasil, Brian Jentz, Andre Ribeiro, Android TV, Brazil, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Alexa coming to third-party Smart TVs powered by LG webOS
Jul 14, 2021 – LG has announced that Amazon Alexa is coming to third-party TVs powered by its webOS platform. The feature will be activated OTA starting in Q3 in North America, followed by other regions including Europe and Asia.
News categories: LG Electronics, Jung Sung-hyun, Asia, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, North America, Smart Home, Smart TV
Technicolor STBs to get Google Assistant with far-field voice recognition
Jul 1, 2021 – Technicolor is integrating Google’s far-field voice technology into its latest generation of set-top boxes (STBs) which enables users to change channels, search for content and more -- hands-free with Google Assistant.
News categories: Technicolor, Google, Brian Jentz, Joshua Stults, Android TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
Telefónica showcases its digital home at MWC
Jun 25, 2021 – Telefónica will showcase its digital home proposal at MWC. At its heart is Movistar+ which becomes a gateway for new experiences through Living Apps, TV applications accessible from the main Movistar+ menu.
News categories: Telefónica, Movistar, Antonio Guzmán, Digital TV, MWC21, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain
Elliptic Labs to trial presence detection and gestures for Smart TV
Jun 11, 2021 – Elliptic Labs (Euronext Growth: ELABS.OL) has signed a PoC with a manufacturer for the implementation of presence detection and touchless gestures in Smart TVs using its AI Virtual Smart Sensor Platform.
News categories: Elliptic Labs, Laila Danielsen, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
VIZIO upgrades SmartCast TV platform with VIZIO Voice
Jun 4, 2021 – VIZIO (NYSE: VZIO) has shared details on an update to its SmartCast Smart TV platform. New models of SmartCast TVs will include a new push-to-talk Voice Remote with VIZIO Voice, helping to navigate apps and channels.
News categories: VIZIO, Chris Vinckier, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart Home, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
ZEASN launches Smart Voice solutions
May 27, 2021 – ZEASN has unveiled its Whale Speaker OS and Whale AI Voice smart voice solutions. Whale Speaker OS is an operating system for smart speakers. Whale AI Voice provides Alexa skills for connected devices.
News categories: ZEASN, Raymond Chung, Colombia, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Roku launches player line-up for Germany
- 5G Broadcast and DTT can share UHF band and broadcast infrastructure
- SVOD household penetration in Malaysia to reach 27% in 2025
- Accedo powers Arabic SVOD service from TenTime
- Wurl unveils performance marketing service for streamers
- Origin selects Kantar for UK media measurement
- Germany to overtake the UK by SVOD subscribers
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way