Semiconductor (ICs, silicon IP, microchips, …) News
Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 10.4% in 2020
Apr 12, 2021 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $466.2 billion in 2020, an increase of 10.4% from 2019, according to final results from Gartner. Intel retained its position as the No. 1 global semiconductor vendor by revenue in 2020.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
MediaTek and Samsung introduce Wi-Fi 6E enabled 8K TV
Apr 6, 2021 – Samsung has introduced an 8K QLED TV, powered by MediaTek's MT7921AU, supporting Wi-Fi 6E. Wi-Fi 6E makes use of 6GHz spectrum to offer multi-gigabit data throughput, lower latency and the latest security and connection reliability features.
News categories: MediaTek, Samsung, Jerry Yu, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Share of top five TV brands continues to grow
Mar 24, 2021 – According to Trendforce, better access to panels and components has meant that the combined market share of the top five TV brands is now over 60%. This figure is expected to further increase to 62% in 2021.
News categories: Trendforce, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
NETINT announces hardware AV1 video encoder for data centers
Mar 16, 2021 – NETINT Technologies has announced that it achieved a first for the video streaming industry by unveiling a family of ASIC-based AV1 video transcoders packaged in a 2.5" U.2 NVMe and PCIe Add-In-Card (AIC) form factor.
News categories: NETINT Technologies, Alex Liu, Matt Frost, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Worldwide
ucfunnel and NetRange enable dynamic ads on Smart TV
Mar 15, 2021 – ucfunnel has announced a partnership with NetRange to deliver advertisements on NetRange’s portal for premium streaming VOD content. The solution runs on MediaTek's turnkey Smart TV platform.
News categories: ucfunnel, ACCESS CO, Kenny Wu, Michimasa Uematsu, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Allegro DVT releases extended encoder and decoder IP variants
Mar 10, 2021 – The explosion in processing demands for video codecs in emerging verticals such as cloud gaming and automotive is pushing sample sizes from 8-bit to 10- and 12-bit and chroma sampling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 and 4:4:4.
News categories: Allegro DVT, Nouar Hamze, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Gaming, In-Car, OTT, Silicon IP, Worldwide
IC Insights ups 2021 IC market growth forecast to 19%
Mar 9, 2021 – IC Insights believes that the 1Q21/4Q20 IC market will show a 2% increase. If so, it would be the first 1Q/4Q sequential IC market increase since a 1% growth rate was registered 10 years ago in 1Q11.
News categories: IC Insights, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
MediaTek releases 4K Smart TV IC with integrated AI processing unit
Mar 3, 2021 – MediaTek (TWSE: 2454) has announced a 4K smart TV chip, the MT9638, with integrated AI processing. The MT9638 supports AI-enhancement technologies such as AI super resolution, AI picture quality and AI voice assistants, plus variable refresh rate and MEMC for smoother graphics.
News categories: MediaTek, Alex Chen, Digital TV, ICs, Smart TV, Worldwide
VeriSilicon AI video processor powers leading datacenters
Mar 1, 2021 – VeriSilicon (688521.SH) has announced that its VC9000 and VIP9400 in combination now offer AI Video processing, real-time AI video content analysis, scene-based video encoding, and AI pixel enhancements.
News categories: VeriSilicon, Wei-Jin Dai, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Silicon IP, Worldwide
- Pay TV revenue in India to grow at a lethargic 0.9% CAGR
- ENENSYS powers service quality monitoring at Evoca
- Friend MTS and Akamai offer server-side A/B variant watermarking
- Comscore expands DISH Media agreement to include Sling TV
- AT&T premium TV down 620k; Vrio down 383k; HBO up 3.3M video subs in 1Q 2021
- Connected TVs and VOD embedded in UK viewing habits
- HUMAN discovers and disrupts CTV ad fraud botnet
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 82,000 in 1Q 2021
- Accedo launches out-of-the-box sports video solution
- Proximus selects Velocix CDN to scale Pickx
- Bold MSS launches Android TV app for cable TV operators
- Apple unveils next generation Apple TV 4K
- JW Player first with support for Open Measurement video ads
- Magnite finds 91% of TV viewers in LatAm watch streaming TV weekly
- Broadpeak CDN selection tool available in AWS Marketplace
- Bitmovin raises $25 million of Series C funding
- XroadMedia powers search and recommendations at Delta Fiber Nederland
- MTS launches KION video streaming platform
- Rakuten TV to roll out 20 channels on Samsung TV Plus
- 75% of TVs sold in Germany in Q1 were UHD capable