Set Top Box (STB, PVR, DVR, CECB, IRD, DTA, Gateway, …) News
NAGRA video platform powers Claro Box TV in Colombia
Aug 4, 2021 – Claro Colombia has selected the NAGRA OpenTV Video Platform to power its Claro Box TV. The Android TV-based STB enables Claro Colombia’s clients to enjoy advanced services including VOD, start-over, catch-up TV, cloud DVR and remote control voice assist.
News categories: NAGRA, Claro Colombia, Xavier Fustagueras, Walter Borda, Android TV, Cable TV, Colombia, Digital TV, Set Top Box, UX
Peacock coming to Sky later this year
Aug 4, 2021 – Comcast has announced that beginning later this year, Peacock will make its international debut on Sky platforms, including Sky Q, NOW, and Sky Ticket, for customers in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Sky, Jeff Shell, Dana Strong, Austria, Digital TV, Germany, Ireland, Italy, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Switzerland, UK
Playstation 5 surpasses 10 million units sold
Aug 4, 2021 – Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that its newest generation game console, PlayStation 5 (PS5), has sold through more than 10 million units globally since its launch on November 12, 2020.
News categories: Sony Interactive Entertainment, Jim Ryan, Digital TV, Gaming, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Ocean Blue Software acquires Advanced Media Group from EKT
Jul 27, 2021 – Ocean Blue Software (OBS) and EKT have agreed terms for the transfer of EKT's Athens based Advanced Media Group to OBS. The EKT team has more than a decade's experience in streaming video, media players and browser-based solutions.
News categories: Ocean Blue Software, EKT, Paul Martin, Richard Smith, Digital TV, Greece, MandA, Set Top Box, Software, Worldwide
Astro launches STB for TV without a satellite dish
Jul 26, 2021 – Astro has launched its Ultra Plug & Play Box, offering customers international and local content without a satellite dish simply by connecting the box to the TV and internet. The box includes features such as Cloud Recording and Play from Start.
News categories: Astro, Azlin Arshad, Digital TV, IPTV, Malaysia, Set Top Box
Freesat 4K STB receives EICS certification with DTG Testing
Jul 23, 2021 – Freesat has become the latest company to have satellite receivers pass the European-wide assurance scheme for TV and Satellite distribution equipment known as the European IRS Certification Scheme (EICS).
News categories: DTG Testing, Freesat, CAI, Digital TV, QoE, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
Sky Brasil's SKY Connect 4K Android TV DVR powered by Wyplay
Jul 23, 2021 – Wyplay has announced that it is powering SKY Connect, the 4K Android TV DVR, recently launched by SKY Brasil, building on the work done for the launch of Linux STBs for SKY Brasil and DIRECTV Latin America in 2016.
News categories: Wyplay, SKY Brasil, Jacques Bourgninaud, Android TV, Brazil, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box
ITV and Sky upgrade their commercial partnership
Jul 22, 2021 – ITV and Sky have signed a deal that includes enabling ITV to launch addressable advertising on Sky platforms. The ITV Hub app will also be added to the current ITV Hub service on Sky Q during 2022.
News categories: Sky, ITV, Stephen van Rooyen, Carolyn McCall, Advertising, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
HbbTV releases Targeted Advertising specification for TV sets in STB markets
Jul 21, 2021 – The HbbTV Association has published its second phase solution for targeted advertising. This enables substitution of broadcast with targeted ads when the broadcast signal is received by an STB and passed to an TV.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Vincent Grive, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- NAGRA video platform powers Claro Box TV in Colombia
- OTTera integrated into the IRIS.TV video data ecosystem
- Peacock coming to Sky later this year
- Redge Media compliant with IAB TCF 2.0
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 399,000 in 2Q 2021
- Playstation 5 surpasses 10 million units sold
- 52% of U.S. consumers stop paying attention when ads come on the TV
- Tata Sky Binge delivers streaming app aggregation with ThinkAnalytics
- USSI Global to bring DOOH analytics to NEXTGEN TV broadcasters
- Altice USA reports video net losses of 48,000 for 2Q 2021
- Total Play video RGUs up 48% YoY in Q2 2021 to 1,933,880
- Gap between OTT and traditional pay TV continues to widen in the U.S.
- OTT to pull down pay TV revenues in China
- German pay TV and paid video surpasses €4 billion in 2020
- SERAPHIC upgrades TV browser with HbbTV 2.0.3 support
- Magnite to manage ad placement for Brazil's NetMovies
- Acxiom and Totalplay to provide addressable audiences in Mexico
- Undertone launches CTV ad solution for improved consumer engagement
- More than seventy 8K TVs now certified by the 8K Association
- Ocean Blue Software acquires Advanced Media Group from EKT