New Zealand Digital TV News
Freeview NZ to sunset On Demand service by late 2022
Dec 14, 2021 – Freeview NZ is to end Freeview On Demand by late 2022. The service is offered as an addition to Live TV on Smart TVs and STBs. The content will still be available on-demand, just accessed on broadcasters’ own apps or websites.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Digital TV, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX
rlaxx TV available for iOS and iPadOS
Dec 8, 2021 – rlaxx TV continues its global expansion with the launch of an app for iOS and iPadOS devices. The achievement is part of the goal to be available on almost every internet- and video-enabled device by the end of the year.
News categories: rlaxx TV, Ronny Lutzi, Apps, Australia, Brazil, Digital TV, Europe, New Zealand, Smartphone, Tablet, Turkey
Sky New Zealand announces Android TV STB development partners
Nov 17, 2021 – Sky New Zealand has announced partners for the development of its new Android TV-based Sky Box, due for deployment by the middle of 2022. Sky has selected Wyplay, Irdeto and Kaonmedia to provide components of the box's software and hardware.
News categories: Sky New Zealand, Wyplay, Kaonmedia, Irdeto, Sophie Moloney, Jacques Bourgninaud, John Chung Yoon, Shane McCarthy, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box
Sky New Zealand selects Irdeto as security partner
Nov 18, 2021 – Irdeto has been selected by Sky New Zealand to become the security partner for its next generation Android set-top box, Sky Box. Irdeto’s Cloaked CA is the core security technology that will protect Sky’s content.
News categories: Irdeto, Sky New Zealand, Doug Lowther, Sophie Moloney, Android TV, Conditional Access, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box
OTT subscriptions to overtake DTH in Australia and New Zealand by 2026
Oct 5, 2021 – According to Dataxis, OTT subscriptions in Australia and New Zealand will overtake DTH by 2026. DTH subscriptions will however still account for more than 40% and 66% of total subscriptions respectively in the two countries.
News categories: Dataxis, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, New Zealand
Disney+ comes to Panasonic TVs
Sep 17, 2021 – Panasonic has confirmed that Disney+ is now available on 4K Panasonic TVs, released from 2017 onwards, that feature its My Home Screen OS. On compatible TVs the Disney+ app icon will become visible in the Application view.
News categories: Panasonic, Disney+, Apps, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, New Zealand, Singapore, Smart TV, Streaming
Sky New Zealand reports results for 2021 financial year
Aug 25, 2021 – Sky NZ has reported results for its 2021 financial year. Sky Box customers were down 4% YoY at 561,989. Streaming customers (Neon, Lightbox, Sky Sport Now, RugbyPass and retransmission) were down 3% YoY to 393,179.
News categories: Sky New Zealand, Digital TV, New Zealand, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
Sky NZ selects Intertrust ExpressPlay DRM cloud service
Jun 8, 2021 – Intertrust and Sky New Zealand have announced that Sky New Zealand will use Intertrust’s ExpressPlay DRM cloud service to help protect Sky New Zealand’s Sky Go, an OTT video service.
News categories: Intertrust, Sky New Zealand, Ali Hodjat, Jonny Errington, Digital TV, DRM, New Zealand, TV Everywhere
Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
Nov 27, 2020 – Pay TV revenue in New Zealand is expected to decline at a CAGR of 3.1% between 2020 and 2025 due to loss in cable and DTH subscriptions, declining ARPU, and subscriber preference for OTT platforms, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Aasif Iqbal, Digital TV, Market Research, New Zealand
- Evoca expands to Denver with Altitude Sports
- European Parliament agrees Digital Services Act (DSA) proposal
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 25.1% in 2021
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope