Broadband (xDSL, DOCSIS, WiMax, FTTH, …) News
DELTA Fiber expands fiber network to 2 million addresses
Aug 5, 2021 – DELTA Fiber has secured €2 billion for the roll out of the newest generation fiber network, XGS-PON, throughout the Netherlands. DELTA Fiber will grow to 2 million fiber connections in 2025 while offering much higher internet speeds.
News categories: DELTA Fiber, Marco Visser, Fibre, Netherlands
High-speed fibre overtakes DSL in OECD countries
Aug 5, 2021 – High-speed fibre Internet subscriptions surpassed copper-wire DSL connections across OECD countries for the first time in 2020 as the need to move work and home life activities online during the COVID-19 pandemic.
News categories: OECD, Broadband, COVID-19, Digital TV, Fibre, Market Research, Worldwide
DVB approves commercial requirements for DVB-I over 5G
Jul 27, 2021 – The DVB Project has approved commercial requirements for DVB-I service support over 5G networks and systems. Work has already commenced in DVB's Technical Module to provide extensions to the relevant existing specifications.
News categories: DVB Project, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Portugal adds 29,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2021
Jun 22, 2021 – According to ANACOM, in 1st quarter 2021 there were 4.3 million subscribers to pay TV in Portugal, 153,000 more (+3.7%) than in the same quarter of 2020, driven mainly by growth in FTTH subscribers.
News categories: ANACOM, Cable TV, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Portugal, Satellite, Subscribers
Ericsson publishes 2021 Mobility Report
Jun 16, 2021 – Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) projects that 5G mobile subscriptions will exceed 580 million by the end of 2021. The forecast enhances the expectation that 5G will become the fastest adopted mobile generation.
News categories: Ericsson, Fredrik Jejdling, 5G, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Lünecom deploys IPTV solution from ocilion in Northern Germany
Jun 10, 2021 – Lünecom Kommunikationslösungen is using a cloud solution from ocilion to deliver IPTV over fiber in Northern Germany. Its 'LCTV' service includes a personalised UI, time-shifted TV, 4K STBs and a mobile app.
News categories: ocilion, Lünecom, Hans Kühberger, Lars Grodtmann, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Fibre, Germany, IPTV, Set Top Box
First football match broadcast over 5G in Portugal
Jun 9, 2021 – TVU Networks has announced that its technology was used in Portugal’s first football games broadcast using 5G. The demos took place at the country’s first 5G–enabled stadiums – Estádio da Luz and Estádio José Alvalade.
News categories: TVU Networks, NOS, Ibertelco, Rafael Castillo, Felipe Montesinos Gomes, 5G, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Portugal
5G mobile, smartphone accessory, and VR HMD shipments to grow rapidly in 2021
Jun 3, 2021 – According to ABI Research, most consumer devices and services, especially 5G smartphones, accessories, and VR Head-Mounted Displays (HMDs), will remain healthy in terms of shipments in 2021.
News categories: ABI Research, Eleftheria Kouri, 5G, Market Research, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
FTTH/B now passes more than half of homes in EU39
May 12, 2021 – The FTTH Council Europe has released figures outlining fibre deployment trends in Europe. The number of homes passed with fibre in the EU39 reached 182.6 million in September 2020, compared to 172 million in September 2019.
News categories: FTTH Council Europe, Vincent Garnier, Eric Festraets, Europe, Fibre, Market Research
- DELTA Fiber expands fiber network to 2 million addresses
- High-speed fibre overtakes DSL in OECD countries
- Liberty Global reports Q2 2021 results
- NAGRA video platform powers Claro Box TV in Colombia
- OTTera integrated into the IRIS.TV video data ecosystem
- Peacock coming to Sky later this year
- Redge Media compliant with IAB TCF 2.0
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 399,000 in 2Q 2021
- Playstation 5 surpasses 10 million units sold
- 52% of U.S. consumers stop paying attention when ads come on the TV
- Tata Sky Binge delivers streaming app aggregation with ThinkAnalytics
- USSI Global to bring DOOH analytics to NEXTGEN TV broadcasters
- Altice USA reports video net losses of 48,000 for 2Q 2021
- Total Play video RGUs up 48% YoY in Q2 2021 to 1,933,880
- Gap between OTT and traditional pay TV continues to widen in the U.S.
- OTT to pull down pay TV revenues in China
- German pay TV and paid video surpasses €4 billion in 2020
- SERAPHIC upgrades TV browser with HbbTV 2.0.3 support
- Magnite to manage ad placement for Brazil's NetMovies
- Acxiom and Totalplay to provide addressable audiences in Mexico