Broadband (xDSL, DOCSIS, WiMax, FTTH, …) News
DVB approves commercial requirements for DVB-I over 5G
Jul 27, 2021 – The DVB Project has approved commercial requirements for DVB-I service support over 5G networks and systems. Work has already commenced in DVB's Technical Module to provide extensions to the relevant existing specifications.
News categories: DVB Project, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Portugal adds 29,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2021
Jun 22, 2021 – According to ANACOM, in 1st quarter 2021 there were 4.3 million subscribers to pay TV in Portugal, 153,000 more (+3.7%) than in the same quarter of 2020, driven mainly by growth in FTTH subscribers.
News categories: ANACOM, Cable TV, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Portugal, Satellite, Subscribers
Ericsson publishes 2021 Mobility Report
Jun 16, 2021 – Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) projects that 5G mobile subscriptions will exceed 580 million by the end of 2021. The forecast enhances the expectation that 5G will become the fastest adopted mobile generation.
News categories: Ericsson, Fredrik Jejdling, 5G, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Lünecom deploys IPTV solution from ocilion in Northern Germany
Jun 10, 2021 – Lünecom Kommunikationslösungen is using a cloud solution from ocilion to deliver IPTV over fiber in Northern Germany. Its 'LCTV' service includes a personalised UI, time-shifted TV, 4K STBs and a mobile app.
News categories: ocilion, Lünecom, Hans Kühberger, Lars Grodtmann, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Fibre, Germany, IPTV, Set Top Box
First football match broadcast over 5G in Portugal
Jun 9, 2021 – TVU Networks has announced that its technology was used in Portugal’s first football games broadcast using 5G. The demos took place at the country’s first 5G–enabled stadiums – Estádio da Luz and Estádio José Alvalade.
News categories: TVU Networks, NOS, Ibertelco, Rafael Castillo, Felipe Montesinos Gomes, 5G, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Portugal
5G mobile, smartphone accessory, and VR HMD shipments to grow rapidly in 2021
Jun 3, 2021 – According to ABI Research, most consumer devices and services, especially 5G smartphones, accessories, and VR Head-Mounted Displays (HMDs), will remain healthy in terms of shipments in 2021.
News categories: ABI Research, Eleftheria Kouri, 5G, Market Research, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
FTTH/B now passes more than half of homes in EU39
May 12, 2021 – The FTTH Council Europe has released figures outlining fibre deployment trends in Europe. The number of homes passed with fibre in the EU39 reached 182.6 million in September 2020, compared to 172 million in September 2019.
News categories: FTTH Council Europe, Vincent Garnier, Eric Festraets, Europe, Fibre, Market Research
Strategy Analytics compares bundled communications service pricing
May 6, 2021 – Strategy Analytics-Teligen has introduced a benchmarking system that compares communication service offers across all permutations of services bundles in accordance with the recently approved OECD methodology.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Josie Sephton, Bernadette Finn, Broadband, Digital TV, Fibre, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Nokia trials video over 5G with TV Azteca in Mexico
Mar 23, 2021 – Nokia has completed a trial with TV Azteca in Mexico of video transmission, using 5G standalone and edge computing. The trial explored latency reduction, as well as identifying improvements in efficiency, flexibility and cost.
News categories: Nokia, TV Azteca, Marcelo Entreconti, Pedro Manuel Carmona Ortiz, 5G, Digital TV, Mexico
- Magnite to manage ad placement for Brazil's NetMovies
- Acxiom and Totalplay to provide addressable audiences in Mexico
- Undertone launches CTV ad solution for improved consumer engagement
- More than seventy 8K TVs now certified by the 8K Association
- Ocean Blue Software acquires Advanced Media Group from EKT
- DVB approves commercial requirements for DVB-I over 5G
- V-Nova raises €33 million in series C round
- AT&T premium TV down 473k; Vrio down 239k; HBO up 3.6M video subs in 2Q 2021
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 62,000 in 2Q 2021
- Astro launches STB for TV without a satellite dish
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV solutions
- Freesat 4K STB receives EICS certification with DTG Testing
- Cox Media Group Local Solutions partners with Amazon Advertising
- Samba TV announces global TV viewership dashboard
- Sky Brasil's SKY Connect 4K Android TV DVR powered by Wyplay
- NBCUniversal adopts Ad-ID for its One Platform
- Redbox to expand free live TV content with Wurl
- ThinkAnalytics rebrands its suite as 'Think360'
- Grupo Werthein to buy AT&T's Vrio operations
- ITV and Sky upgrade their commercial partnership