Subscribers (customers, users, RGUs, …), number of, News
TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
Jun 30, 2020 – According to TRAI, Pay DTH had an average active subscriber base of 69.98 million at 31st December 2019. At the same time there were 13 MSOs and 1 HITS operator with a subscriber base of more than one million.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Satellite, Subscribers
Satellite TV gains popularity in Ghana and Nigeria
Jun 25, 2020 – An SES survey has revealed a steady increase in the penetration of satellite TV across Africa. The study shows an increase in SES reach from 33 million African households in 2018 to 35 million households in 2019.
News categories: SES S.A, Clint Brown, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ghana, IPTV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,065,000 subscribers in 1Q 2020
May 14, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,065,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,025,000 subscribers in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 413,000 in 1Q 2020
May 7, 2020 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has reported results for the quarter ending March 31, 2020. The company closed with 11.32 million Pay-TV subscribers, (9.01 million DISH TV and 2.31 million Sling TV) down approximately 413,000 in the quarter.
News categories: DISH Network, COVID-19, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Charter residential video customers down 70,000 in 1Q 2020
May 1, 2020 – Charter Communications has reported results for the three months ended March 31, 2020. Residential video customers decreased by 70,000 in the quarter. At the end of the period, Charter had 15.6 million residential video customers.
News categories: Charter Communications, https://bit.ly/35EexJi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Results, Subscribers, USA
Comcast cable video subscribers down 409,000 in 1Q 2020
Apr 30, 2020 – Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) has reported results for the quarter ended March 31, 2020. Total high-speed internet customer net additions were 477,000, total video customer net losses were 409,000 and total voice customer net losses were 89,000.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Results, Subscribers, USA
Verizon FIOS video subscribers down 84,000 in 1Q 2020
Apr 24, 2020 – Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) has reported first-quarter 2020 results. Consumer reported 84,000 Fios Video net losses in first-quarter 2020, reflecting the ongoing shift from traditional linear video to OTT offerings.
News categories: Verizon Communications, Digital TV, IPTV, Results, Subscribers, USA
AT&T U.S. down 1,035k; Vrio down 114k video subs in 1Q 2020
Apr 22, 2020 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for the first quarter of 2020. Total U.S. video subscribers were down 1.035 million in the quarter with AT&T TV NOW accounting for 138,000 of the losses. For Vrio in Latin America, net subscribers were down 114,000.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Results, Subscribers, USA
Disney+ already at 50 million subscribers
Apr 8, 2020 – Disney+ now has 50 million paid subscribers. In the past two weeks the service rolled out in eight Western European countries. Last week it also launched in India, jointly with Hotstar. This provided eight million of the 50 million subscribers.
News categories: Walt Disney, Kevin Mayer, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
- SETAR deploys Nordija interactive TV platform in Aruba
- BoFiNet enlists Globecast for OTT service creation in Botswana
- SeaChange leadership extends salary reduction plan
- Growth in TV Panel quotes even higher than expected in July
- DNA selects VisualOn media player for Android TV app
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert