Software (Media Players, Middleware, Browsers, Stacks, …) News
J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
Jan 27, 2023 – Qwilt has announced that J:COM has transformed its video delivery network using Qwilt's Open Caching solution, boosting its network capacity and improving delivery of live streaming, VoD and media applications.
News categories: Qwilt, J:COM, Alon Maor, Jiro Inoue, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, QoE, Streaming
NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
Jan 24, 2023 – The NBA and Meta have announced a new virtual reality (VR) experience through Meta Horizon Worlds via Meta Quest headsets, featuring live NBA League Pass games in VR throughout the season.
News categories: NBA, Meta, Jennifer Chun, Rob Shaw, Digital TV, Metaverse, Streaming, USA
Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
Jan 25, 2023 – YouSee has agreed a deal with Simply.TV. Metadata from Simply.TV will help YouSee with visuals, recommendations, sports info, ingestion of broadcaster data, and an ID space bringing all services together.
News categories: Simply.TV, YouSee, Daniel Rühmann, Jannie Marie Kaarsberg, Big Data, Denmark, Digital TV, UX
iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
Jan 24, 2023 – Caretta Research has researched and released a report, sponsored by iWedia, that provides an update on set-top box (STB) professionals' preferences and buying behaviours in the post-pandemic era.
News categories: iWedia, Caretta Research, Hans Jurgen Desor, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Sharp to offer six TV models equipped with Roku OS in the U.S.
Jan 5, 2023 – Sharp will release three models of its flagship AQUOS XLED 4K TV in U.S. in spring of 2023. At the same time, it will introduce to the U.S. market six other TV models all equipped with the Roku smart TV OS.
News categories: Sharp Corp, CES2023, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV OS, USA
Vestel to produce VIDAA-based Smart TVs for Europe
Jan 9, 2023 – VIDAA has signed a partnership with Vestel to provide its turnkey operating system. The deal will expand the presence of the VIDAA platform in Europe, powering Toshiba branded TVs starting in 2023.
News categories: VIDAA, Vestel, Guy Edri, Turan Erdogan, CES2023, Digital TV, Europe, Smart TV, TV OS
Cinemo shows digital media experiences in the vehicle and cloud
Jan 5, 2023 – Cinemo creates digital media experiences in the vehicle and cloud, placing media control firmly with the user. A new partnership with Telechips enables in-car VoD and multi-screen-usage for entry- to mid-level cars.
News categories: Cinemo, Telechips, Richard Lesser, Jangkyu Lee, CES2023, Content Distribution, Digital TV, In-Car, Middleware, Semiconductor, Streaming, USA, Worldwide
UEI expands software and services for whole home control
Jan 6, 2023 – To deal with the challenge of onboarding, troubleshooting, and supporting connected devices across different ecosystems, UEI [NASDAQ: UEIC] has expanded its offering beyond just control introducing several services to help consumers.
News categories: Universal Electronics, Arsham Hatambeiki, CES2023, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA, UX, Worldwide
LG TVs gain expanded selection of gamer-centric services
Jan 7, 2023 – LG is demonstrating its commitment to gaming on TV with a webOS UI update that features a dedicated gaming hub, the addition of Amazon Luna cloud gaming, and streaming gameplay at 4K 60fps via NVIDIA GeForce NOW.
News categories: LG Electronics, CES2023, Digital TV, Gaming, Smart TV, USA, UX
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December