North America Digital TV News
A quarter of U.S. households subscribe to broadband but not Pay TV
Oct 20, 2021 – Research from TDG finds that the number of U.S. households subscribing to a broadband service but not a pay-TV service will grow from 38 million in 2020 to 54 million in 2025, up 42% in the five-year period.
News categories: TDG, Paul Hockenbury, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Terrestrial, USA
HBO up 1.9 million; Vrio down 178,000 video subs in 3Q 2021
Oct 21, 2021 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported third-quarter 2021 results. Global HBO Max and HBO subscribers increased 12.5 million Y-o-Y and were up 1.9 million sequentially. Vrio subscriber net losses were 178,000.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, Latin America, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 68,000 in 3Q 2021
Oct 20, 2021 – Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) has reported third-quarter results. Consumer reported 98,000 Fios Internet net additions and 68,000 Fios Video net losses in the quarter.
News categories: Verizon, Digital TV, IPTV, Results, Subscribers, USA
C Spire to acquire Troy Cablevision
Oct 20, 2021 – C Spire is to acquire Troy Cablevision enabling it to meet growing broadband and IT needs of consumers and businesses in Alabama's Wiregrass. The transaction includes Union Springs Telephone Company.
News categories: C Spire, Troy Cablevision, Union Springs Telephone, Hu Meena, Jake Cowen, Cable TV, Digital TV, MandA, USA
Software Freedom Conservancy sues Vizio for GPL violations
Oct 19, 2021 – Software Freedom Conservancy has announced that it has filed a lawsuit against Vizio for what it calls repeated failures to fulfill the basic requirements of the General Public License (GPL).
News categories: Software Freedom Conservancy, Vizio, Karen M. Sandler, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
Oct 19, 2021 – According to Deloitte, media companies are trying to retain paid subscribers on their streaming video services. But they also compete with social media and gaming, which offer both entertainment and social interaction.
News categories: Deloitte, Kevin Westcott, Jana Arbanas, COVID-19, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Streaming, USA
RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
Oct 18, 2021 – COMSovereign Holding (NASDAQ: COMS) has announced that its RF Engineering & Energy Resource (RFE) unit has received Google Android TV Operator Tier certification for its new IPTV device.
News categories: RFE, Thomas Mansfield, Android TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, USA
Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
Oct 19, 2021 – Disney+ and VIDAA have announced that Disney+ will be coming soon to VIDAA Smart OS-powered Hisense and Toshiba smart TVs with the latest firmware version. VIDAA Smart OS is a Linux-based open smart TV operating system.
News categories: VIDAA, Disney+, Hisense, Guy Edri, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
Oct 19, 2021 – TekSavvy and its affiliate, Hastings Cable Vision, have launched their TekSavvy TV product in select regions of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick.
News categories: TekSavvy, Hastings Cable Vision, Marc Gaudrault, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV
- Global IPTV subscriber numbers to overtake cable in 2026
- Sky Glass powered by Amlogic and RDK
- Panther Logistics appointed as delivery partner for Sky Glass
- VumaTV goes global with Red Bee Media
- Pixalate releases report on open programmatic CTV advertising trends
- Foxtel and ViacomCBS agree content distribution and apps deal
- BBC sets out path to Net Zero by 2030
- A quarter of U.S. households subscribe to broadband but not Pay TV
- Wurl offers global FAST channel distribution for content companies
- Accedo and Nreal bring streaming to lightweight AR glasses
- HBO up 1.9 million; Vrio down 178,000 video subs in 3Q 2021
- RTL Group and Amobee to form TechAlliance addressable TV JV
- Claro Box TV streaming in Colombia powered by Harmonic
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 68,000 in 3Q 2021
- Vodafone España provides real-time accurate EPG with Alpha Networks and MediaData TV
- Vewd and Mediatek bring entertainment to vehicle rear-seats
- Conviva expands into advertising audience measurement
- C Spire to acquire Troy Cablevision
- Software Freedom Conservancy sues Vizio for GPL violations
- Altibox Android TV service goes live with 3SS and Technicolor