North America Digital TV News
Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
Sep 19, 2019 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS 9.2 will start rolling out to Roku devices in the coming weeks. The software update focuses on getting customers to content quickly and adds new ways to control the home entertainment experience.
News categories: Roku, Ilya Asnis, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
Sep 19, 2019 – FourthWall Media has released Reveal 5, the company’s analytics platform. Reveal 5 packages powerful analytics and infrastructure making it easy to use the platform to analyze, plan, and optimize television advertising, audiences, and programming.
News categories: FourthWall Media, Ellen Dudar, Tim Peters, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
Sep 18, 2019 – Hearst Television has announced that its stations will begin transacting advertising-sales agreements based on audience impressions – a metric reflecting a program's viewer numbers and the common audience-measurement currency for video-viewing platforms.
News categories: Hearst Television, Jordan Wertlieb, Eric Meyrowitz, Advertising, Digital TV, USA
Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
Sep 18, 2019 – The Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) study predicts that around 60 million TV households will access video on their TV exclusively through streaming within the next five years. If this happens, streamers will surpass traditional Pay TV viewers for the first time.
News categories: Roku, Matthew Anderson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
Sep 18, 2019 – Facebook is expanding its Portal family of home video-calling devices with three new models: Portal, Portal Mini and Portal TV. Portal TV brings smart video-calling to the largest screen in the home.
News categories: Facebook, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, France, Italy, New Zealand, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain, Tablet, UK, USA
CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
Sep 18, 2019 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) and its member companies have announced the official industry display definition and logo for 8K Ultra High-Definition (UHD) televisions – for use beginning with 2020 model products.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
Sep 17, 2019 – New research from Parks Associates finds that subscriptions, formerly representing just over half of total online video spending in 2012, now account for nearly 86% of all U.S. internet spending on TV and movies.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
Sep 17, 2019 – NBCUniversal has announced 'Peacock' as the name for its new streaming service. Peacock rolls out in April of 2020 with over 15,000 hours of content and takes center stage at the end of July during the 2020 Summer Olympics.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Peacock, Bonnie Hammer, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
Sep 17, 2019 – VIZIO has announced support for new Alexa voice features on VIZIO SmartCast TVs. With the latest update, users can now use Alexa to search for movies or shows by title, genre, or cast members – just by using their voice and a nearby Echo device.
News categories: VIZIO, Bill Baxter, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos